The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
These jobs are found in Headquarters (HQ), Regional Bureaux (RBs) and Country Offices (COs), and report to a Head of Unit, Chief, or Procurement Officer.
Job holders at this level are responsible for completion of a range of procurement processes and activities requiring some interpretation of standard guidelines/practices. Job holders are able to recommend straightforward courses of action to staff, and may allocate tasks and technically support other staff.
To perform and apply appropriate processes, procedures and policies that support the efficient and effective procurement services.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Carry out routine Procurement Tasks as assigned by the Procurement Officer (Issuing tenders, evaluations, creating Purchase Orders and Contract Awards).
- Preparing reports and Memos for review and presentation for approvals by the Procurement Committees and Evaluation Committees.
- Respond to queries and escalate where appropriate, to provide a timely and accurate service to clients.
- Ensure efficiency in the unit feedback mechanism by managing the Unit PR tracking System and providing regular feedback to clients.
- Manage and Maintain various unit databases such as Vendor database and Contract database
- Support processing and managing routine administrative and financial tasks in various functional areas, to contribute to the effective and timely management of resources.
- Provide revision and proof-reading services for standard documents, to contribute to the development of accurate documentation.
- Manage the Filing system by taking responsibility for the maintenance of set standard systems and files, to ensure information is accurate and readily available for the function.
- Identify simple discrepancies in statistics and data, such as missing information, and report to senior staff in order to support clients to deliver their work.
- Take responsibility for data integrity to facilitate availability of accurate information in corporate systems.
- Work with a variety of individuals, taking on feedback where appropriate to assist in business support delivery for staff.
Critical Success Factors
- Ability to review a variety of data, identify and adjust data discrepancies.
- Identify and resolve operational problems.
- Ability to communicate moderately complex matters clearly and concisely.
- Ability to perform detailed work, work of a confidential nature and/or to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints.
- Ability to deal patiently and tactfully with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- CIPS Level 2 certificate will be added advantage
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to supervisor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
- Create an inclusive culture: Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in same area of work.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with supervisor.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
- Focus on getting results: Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
- Be Decisive: Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to supervisor.
- Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
- Tendering and Contracting Displays basic understanding of processes to support the contracting/tendering implementation at WFP by collecting necessary information.
- Vendor Management Leverages basic understanding of business needs to define vendor requirements and selection criteria.
- Commodity and Product/Service Intelligence Appropriately handles products/services based on an understanding of sources, technologies, properties, and public procurement principles/practices.
- Systems & Reporting Utilizes basic understanding of data sources, procurement systems, Corporate Operating System and processes to execute daily tasks.
- Ethics and Compliance Maintains accurate records of activities in line with compliance standards to increase ease of response to basic audit queries.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Education: University Degree and additional Technical training in Procurement Studies.
- Work Experience: Four or more years of experience in Procurement and Administrative roles, knowledge of Supply Chain Operations will be an added advantage.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Proficient in the use of office equipment and computer software packages, such as Microsoft Word.
- Knowledge of work routines and methods in order to complete processes under minimal supervision.
- Uses tact and courtesy to give and receive information to a wide range of individuals.
- Ability to identify data discrepancies and rectify problems requiring attention.
- Ability to offer guidance or basic
Languages: Good command over spoken and written English