Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. Visit www.worldbank.org.
Background / General description:
Our institution is organized around global practices (GP) grouped in sectors! The Governance GP helps developing countries build capable, efficient, open, inclusive and accountable institutions that can support economic growth, reduce poverty, deliver needed services and earn the confidence of citizens. More information: https://www.worldbank.org/en/topic/governance
- The Global Directorate for Procurement (EPRDR) is part of Governance GP and convenes a leading group of practitioners focused on advancing cutting-edge practices and innovations in the field of procurement.
- The Europe and Central Asia (ECA) Procurement Unit (EECRU) seeks to recruit a Procurement Specialist, to provide support to the Bank operational portfolio in Turkey! This position is geared to assisting the World Bank staff and the Government of Turkey in implementing World Bank-financed and administered programs by providing procurement support, advice, guidance and oversight.
Duties and Accountabilities:
- Work independently and as a team member on procurement matters in the performance of the Bank's fiduciary and service functions.
- Working across sectors, responsible for reviewing and handling the technical, commercial and legal aspects of procurement (in consultation with Legal and Policy departments as necessary).
- Participate in missions as procurement expert on large projects; assesses procurement implications of project design, evaluates institutional capacity of the Borrower and develops suitable procurement plans.
- Participate in country procurement assessments, prepare background analysis, collaborate on developing appropriate public procurement legislation and practices including tailoring instruments to meet specific client needs.
- Negotiate and resolve difficult procurement issues with Borrower agencies and handle questions/complaints from officials and contractors on bidding and award issues.
- Design and conduct workshops to educate procurement professionals in the Bank and in Borrower agencies on the Bank's philosophy and approach to procurement, the rationale of its policy framework and relevant procedures and processes.
- Master's Degree or equivalent qualification relevant to this position and minimum of 5 years relevant experience in carrying out technical duties in procurement and contract management.
- State-of-the-art knowledge of public procurement principles, systems, process and planning, legal frameworks and institutions and approaches to international procurement. Ability to independently provide well researched analyses of complex procurement issues and problems.
- Knowledge and specialized command of all major facets of Bank procurement policies and practices as applied across a wide range of Bank lending operations at all phases of the project cycle, and ability to address broader issues at sector/country level.
- Good understanding of critical linkages and relationships among clients' business drivers, business operations and objectives and Procurement processes.