Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org
The Word Bank office in Bangui is seeking a dynamic candidate to join the team as Program Assistant. The selected candidate will provide operational support to task teams delivering support to World Bank clients. The Program Assistant will be under direct supervision of the Executive Assistant (EA) who is co- responsible for her/his technical and professional development and performance evaluation. The Program Assistant is an integral part of the CAR Country Office Administrative and Client Support (ACS) team. (S)He will provide Administrative and client support to the Operational Staff. The job implies frequent interaction with other institutional units, staff in other locations (locally and internationally), Government officials, consultants and external organizations.
Roles & Responsibility
Operational and administrative support:
- Provide support for preparation and implementation of World Bank projects and activities according to Bank procedures.
- Use desktop processing skills to produce complex texts, reports, presentations, charts, figures, graphs, etc., according to Bank format and distribution.
- Collect and input data provided by Task Team Leaders into the central database, including processing new project status reports.
- Keep abreast of the Organization’s directives and ensure effective processing of all project documents.
- Draft routine correspondence (standard letters, memos, faxes, etc.) conforming to the Organization’s regional standards, using proper grammar, punctuation and style and proofread materials;
- Provide language support and draft translations from English into French and vice versa.
- Draft minutes of meetings and provide assistance in editing large documents.
- Maintain up-to-date divisional project files (both paper and electronic) and retrieve data from various sources and compile these for use by the Country Director and/or the Country Management Unit (CMU).
- Incorporate agreed comments into documents, making full use of shared drives and software capabilities.
- Process all STC contracts for the unit in close collaboration with the Task Team Leader and assist with end-of-year closing requirements that includes review and follow-up to ensure that consultant commitments and balances are paid and contracts are closed accordingly for unit-led tasks, particularly during the last quarter of the fiscal year.
Information Management and Client interaction:
- Answer internal and external queries on the assigned portfolio or, as necessary, take accurate and comprehensive telephone messages, and route them to appropriate persons to handle.
- Maintain current distribution lists, phone/address lists of project/product contacts, and distribute documents for the team.
- Co-ordinate with service units, and liaise frequently with team members both in Washington and in the Country Office;
- Track and report on appropriate aspects of the Team’s operational activities
Time management & Logistic planning
- Arrange working schedule and meeting with counterparts for the visiting teams;
- Co-ordinate time management and schedules, taking current and future priorities into account, anticipate and monitor changes, and communicate the information;
- Track assigned tasks/project steps/ timetables using modern office management technologies, coordinate with relevant staff, provide assistance and/or information on project-related matters;
- Solve non-routine problems creatively and resourcefully and assist in preparation and logistical planning for various events, e.g. conferences, workshops, negotiations, board presentation and signing, field missions, etc.
- Bachelor + Four years’ experience in an international institution with exposure to project/programs management.
- Ability to pass relevant Bank Group tests in place at time of recruitment (e.g. English language, computer applications, etc.).
- Previous experience with a multilateral/bilateral organization is an advantage.
- English and French skills required (written and spoken), including ability independently draft a variety of formal and informal correspondence; to proofread/edit materials.
- Effective time management and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated initiative and resourcefulness.
- Proven ability to build relationship and interact positively with senior counterparts in the public and private sectors, in French and English.
- Committed team player with good inter-personal skills and ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to produce high-quality work under pressure.