Program Associate - Uganda
International Center for Transitional Justice, Kampala, Uganda
Closing Date for Applications:
The International Center for Transitional Justice (ICTJ) works to advance justice in countries that have endured massive human rights abuses under repression and in conflict. We work with victims, civil society groups, national, and international organizations to ensure redress for victims and to help prevent atrocities from happening again. ICTJ has been supporting transitional justice initiatives in Uganda since 2009.
- Master’s degree in international relations, law, political science, development studies, or social sciences. Specialization in human rights, transitional justice is an added advantage;
- 3-4 years’ relevant work experience, preferably in human rights and/or international programs;
- Substantive academic or practical experience in human rights or transitional justice issues;
- Excellent written communication skills;
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with a diverse array of people;
- Strong time management and project management skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills in order to work collaboratively with staff in ICTJ country office staff and departments as well as external partners;
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office and ability to use academic research tools is essential;
- Extraordinary initiative, creativity and capacity to think strategically;
- Team spirit and respectful working and decision-making style;
- Willingness to travel as needed.
How to apply:
Candidates must be based in Uganda.
ICTJ seeks a Program Associate for our office in Kampala, Uganda. The Program Associate will report to the Head of Office and will provide support in coordinating programmatic work in Uganda.
- Work with the Head of Office to conceptualize, design and implement programs to provide technical assistance and support to transitional justice processes in Uganda.
- Perform research and writing tasks (compile and organize comparative information, legal research, etc.); prepare draft memos, and other documents under the supervision of the Head of Office;
- Assist in the drafting country research papers and other written work for publication; and track country news and developments.
- Take a lead role in organizing workshops, conferences and missions as organizing workshops, seminars and compiling training materials on transitional justice issues.
- Liaise effectively with local stakeholders including government and NGOs to ensure effective coordination and delivery of activities of ICTJ Uganda program office.
- Actively participate in internal and external coordination meetings including liaison with ICTJ consultants.
- Assist the Head of Office in maintaining contact with international and local partners, organizations, embassies, and other relevant civil society actors or government officials.
- Assist the Head of Office in the development of proposals, work plans and budget, including preparing website updates and drafting reports on activities as required.
- Coordinate with the Finance and Administrative Manager and Program Assistant in tracking program budgets and expenditure
- Provide technical advice where appropriate and provide support to partners and other stakeholders on
- Draft reports, for internal use, on transitional justice and political and security developments in Uganda, for review and input of the Head of Office.
- Carry out any other duties as required by the Head of Office.