OBJECTIVE OF THE OFFICE/DEPARTMENT
This requisition is for employment at the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)/Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO)
The Planning and Budget Department (PBU) is in charge of PAHO’s strategic planning, budget management and corporate performance monitoring, assessment and reporting. PBU coordinates the development of the Organization’s Strategic Plan (SP) and Program and Budget (PB) applying a results-based management (RBM) approach in line with the Organization’s mandates, policies and strategies. It leads and facilitates operational planning and performance monitoring and assessment, in collaboration with all levels and parts of the Organization, to measure progress towards the priorities and results in the Strategic Plan and Program and Budget. PBU also allocates resources to programs and monitors financing and implementation levels throughout the biennium. The Department is accountable to the Director and Deputy Director of PAHO for ensuring programmatic and budget accountability, including the preparation and presentation of reports to PAHO’s Executive Management and Governing Bodies, and to WHO.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the general supervision of the Unit Chief, Program Budget and the direct supervision of the Advisor, Program Budget (PBU/PB), the incumbent is responsible for, but not necessarily limited to, the following assigned duties:
- Support the Organization’s program budget development process, including but not limited to: drafting of procedures and tools to estimate the cost of corporate results; organization of briefings on costing and budgeting processes to relevant audiences; collection, consolidation and analysis of cost estimates from country and regional entities to build up organization-wide program budget figures; production of evidence for management decisions on the appropriate program budget levels based on historical funding and implementation patterns;
- Support the development of program budget allocations to regional, sub-regional and country level entities;
- Support PAHO’s operational planning process from the program budget perspective: assist in the development of guidelines and tools for corporate costing; design checklists and tools to be used in the review of planned costs in biennial workplans to ensure alignment and compliance with the Organization’s Strategic Plan and Program Budget; support development and testing of corporate planning platforms;
- Collaborate in monitoring and periodic reporting on the implementation of the Program Budget by results chain, organizational entity, funding source, fund, functional level, expenditure category, and others; monitor compliance with the Organization’s budget policies, and resource allocation decisions; contribute to the design of reports in the relevant modules of PAHO’s Program Management Information System (PMIS);
- Contribute to statutory reporting on program budget implementation to the Governing Bodies; including supporting the periodic update of the PAHO Program Budget Portal and the related WHO Program Budget Portal;
- Assist in the Performance Monitoring and Assessment (PMA) process, including the analysis of program and budget data for corporate and entity-level reporting during the PMA, and the development and update of user-friendly tools for organizational use;
- Perform other related duties, as assigned.
- Essential: A bachelor’s degree in public administration, business administration, management, public policy/economics, finance, a social science or related discipline from a recognized university
- Desirable: Training and/or education in results-based management (RBM), planning or project management would be an asset.
- Essential: Five years of combined national and international work experience in budget development, financial management, program management, audit or related functions.
- Desirable: Strong skills in database extraction and data analysis using MS Excel are desirable.
- Overall attitude at work: Maintains integrity and takes a clear ethical approach and stance; demonstrates commitment to the Organization’s mandate and promotes the values of the Organization in daily work and behavior; is accountable for work carried out in line with own role and responsibilities; is respectful towards, and trusted by, colleagues and counterparts.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with team members and counterparts to achieve results; encourages cooperation and builds rapport; helps others when asked; accepts joint responsibility for the teams’ successes and shortcomings. Identifies conflicts in a timely manner and addresses them as necessary; understands issues from the perspective of others; does not interpret/ attribute conflicts to cultural, geographical or gender issues.
- Communication: Quality and quantity of communication targeted at audience. Listens attentively and does not interrupt other speakers. Adapts communication style and written content to ensure they are appropriately and accurately understood by the audience (e.g., power-point presentations, communication strategies, implementation plans). Shares information openly with colleagues and transfers knowledge, as needed.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences: Treats all people with dignity and respect. Relates well to people with different cultures, gender, orientations, backgrounds and/or positions; examines own behavior to avoid stereotypical responses; considers issues from the perspective of others and values their diversity.
- Knowing and Managing Yourself: Remains productive even in an environment where information or direction is not available, and when facing challenges; recovers quickly from setbacks, where necessary. Manages stress positively; remains positive and productive even under pressure; does not transfer stress to others. Seeks feedback to improve knowledge and performance; shows self- awareness when seeking and receiving feedback; uses feedback to improve own performance. Seeks informal and/or formal learning opportunities for personal and professional development; systematically learns new competencies and skills useful for job; takes advantage of learning opportunities to fill competencies and skill gaps.
- Producing Results: Prioritizes work, monitors own progress against objectives and adapts plans as required; communicates adjustments as necessary. Acts proactively and stimulates action as needed; handles problems effectively and constructively. Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs. Works independently to produce new results and sets own time lines effectively and efficiently. Shows awareness of own role and clarifies roles of team members in relation to project’s expected results. Makes proposals for improving processes as required and takes responsibility for own work and/or actions, as necessary. Demonstrates positive attitude in working on new projects and initiatives. Demonstrates accountability for own success, as well as for errors; learns from experience.
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of cost control, program budgeting and implementation in a results-based management framework.
- Demonstrated ability to assess, analyze, synthesize and provide recommendations on financial and budgetary issues.
- Ability to manage multiple issues and tasks in a complex organizational environment to re-prioritize actions on short notice.
- Ability to develop and use databases (such as MS Access) to support analytical processes.
- Excellent logistical, administrative and organizational skills to facilitate the implementation of the plans and follow-up actions.
- Excellent organizational and analytic skills combined with strong professional oral and writing skills including the development of reports, oral presentations, and technical/persuasive documents for consideration at the highest levels of the Organization.
Languages: Very good knowledge of English or Spanish with a working knowledge of the other language. Knowledge of French and/or Portuguese would be an asset.
IT Skills: Demonstrated experience working with budget and/or financial management (e.g. ERP) systems. Ability to effectively use a computer and utilize software programs such as Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint and Outlook. Intermediate/advanced use of MS Excel is needed.