SI has been working in Afghanistan for 37 years. The mission is currently implementing emergency activities in 4 provinces : Bamyan, Wardak, Paktika and Khost, including multipurpose cash assistance, WaSH activities in a Pakistani Refugee Camp, for internally displaced persons in Wardak.
SI is seeking funds to resume multiyear programs in Bamyan province focusing on Natural Resources Management, Agriculture and Livestock. In 2018, SI will pursue the objective to support the most vulnerable persons by implementing activities at the border with Pakistan (Nangarhar, Kunar) and possibly at the border with Iran (Herat, Nimroz).
At the time of writing, the mission has 7 international staff and around 150 national staff.
The coordination team in Kabul is currently composed of 5 expatriates (CD, Admin Co, WaSHCo, EmergencyCo, RCO) and 23 national staff. In Khost province, there is one base in the capital of the province. The team is composed of two expatriates (Field Coordinator and Program Manager) and around 35 national colleagues.
About the job
- The program coordinator contributes to the development of Solidarités International strategy by proposing sector-based strategies for the whole activities.
- He/she specifically the guarantor of the quality and suitability of proposed technical approaches and ensures the appropriateness between SI’s activities and general objectives and needs of the population.
- He/she coordinates the project cycle and more particularly the operational monitoring of programs implemented in the intervention country.
- He/she contributes to the capitalization process and the improvement of Solidarités International methods and techniques
The main stakes/challenges will be :
- General objectives The greater challenge will be to act as the key person within SI to relaunch SI programming in the country, mainly by linking with other partners (external coordination) to participate in Consortium aiming at linking the work market to the population, job creation, livelihoods which is one of the main needs in the country.
- In the meantime, the Program Coordinator will be in charge of supporting the humanitarian activities deployed by SI in the country.
Education: Minimum Masters’ degree or equivalent in Agronomy, Economic Recovery, Food Security Livelihood or WASH projects.
- 3 years of professional experience, including a minimum of 2 years in the humanitarian environment,
- Proven experience in conflict/post-conflict contexts and insecure environments
- Proven experience in emergency intervention
- Previous experience in Food Security Livelihood and Wash activities in developing countries
- Previous experience of project management in NGO / humanitarian fields
- Previous experience in report and proposal writing
- Experience of team management
- Experience of capacity building
- Experience in working with local partners would be an asset
- Previous experience with SI would be an asset
Technical skills and knowledge:
- Knowledge of project cycle management, project design and proposal writing.
- Knowledge of livelihoods, agrarian systems and natural resources management.
- Knowledge of the donors environment
- Knowledge of SI rules and procedures is an advantage.
- Knowledge of disaster risk reduction approaches would be an advantage
- Capacity to create network with partners
- Excellent management skills
- Good analytical and writing/editing skills
- Good communication and diplomatic skills
- Good organization skills
- Capacity to work under pressure
- Good pedagogical skills
- Strong capacity to take initiatives