Relief International specializes in relief and development programs that benefit people in acute distress. A registered non-profit in the US, UK, France and Belgium, our work targets those fragile countries or communities that suffer from recurrent man-made or natural crises that impede human development. The people that we serve live in seventeen countries across the Middle East, Africa, and Asia where the debilitating effects of political instability, forced displacement, and natural disasters are pervasive. Often, RI is the only organization providing healthcare, education, logistics, energy, capacity building, economic development, sanitation, and many other forms of assistance to these highly vulnerable communities.
RI is currently seeking a Programme Director to manage and enlarge the portfolio of projects being run in Afghanistan. This will involve working with a range of positions,
Deputy Country Director for Provincial Office support
Grants and programme development Manager
Deputy Country Director for health and medical projects
Reporting to the Country Director this position will play a strong role with representation with potential donors and strategic planning for future applications in line with the 4 core pillars of Relief International.
Position Responsibilities and Duties:
- Ensure coordination with the Global and Regional support offices.
- Develop new programmatic initiatives to support the strategic focus of Relief International
- Develop objectives and implement long term goals to achieve the long-term targets of the programme
- Lead on programme quality and accountability in compliance with RI’s systems and ways of working.
- Analyse project progress, ensure proper budget follow-up and projection. Liaise with the DCD for Support Services in Provincial Offices to ensure information to and from offices on project support.
- Liaise with the DCD Medical and Health to ensure these elements can be used as cross cutting issues in new projects.
- Work with the Grants and Programme Development Manager and the Country Director to identify new project opportunities
- Ensure support to project teams in drafting project proposals liaising with the support services (Finance, Logistics and Administration, Security, IT and Human Resources) to include all elements to complete a logical project proposal.
- Keep up to date on all threats and risks to project implementation in all areas where RI operates and take/support whatever action is possible to mitigate such threats.
- Work closely with the Grants and Programme Development Manager for all reporting and donors requirements.
- Develop fund raising strategies, explore new funding sources and opportunities for on-going and new projects
- Liaise, consolidate and manage current and potential donor relationships
- Conduct regular donor mapping, collate cross-sector information and draft project proposals in coordination with the Grants and Programme Development Manager.
- Lead donor engagement and program development in coordination with RI’s regional and country office teams, including leading needs assessments, program design, budgeting, and final production for development opportunities
- Ensure that all new PD efforts with partners include teaming agreements.
- In close coordination with the CD and DCD for Provincial Offices organise field assessment meetings and synthesizes informational for technical proposals, competitive positioning, and strategic decision-making
- Conduct joint analysis and part of lessons learned exercises to inform new projects and program direction
- Where possible, and in coordination with the DCD provincial offices, make programme visits
- Provide capacity building training on programme development for PM’s and PPC’s
- Organise and ensure participation at cluster meetings, working groups and other meetings as required.
- Support advocacy in coordination with the CD on issues related to programme.
Qualifications & requirements:
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- Bachelors or substantial experience in international development, humanitarian studies, business management or other sector-specific technical area;
- Wide experience in effective strategic level communication and coordination with national partners, central and local authorities, NGO partners, UN agencies and other relevant stakeholders
- In-depth knowledge of international development programming and project construction
- An understanding of society in Afghanistan
- Excellent writing and research skills and computer literacy, including previous proposal writing experience and success at winning public and private foundation/sector awards. MUST have previous proposal writing experience to apply
- Strong budgeting and financial forecasting skills, including experience in preparing business plans
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate complex activities, meet deadlines, and exercise sound judgment
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team or independently
- Fluency in English and strong English writing skills are required
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, stressful environment. Must be flexible, willing to perform other duties and work irregular hours
- Excellent time management skills and resourcefulness with strong attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, public speaking, and strategic planning skills required.