PSI is Co-Principal Recipient (PR), alongside the Ministry of Health (MoH), Republic of Liberia, for a Global Fund project focused on addressing the issues of HIV prevention in the general population and among key populations (KP), including PLHIV, Men having Sex with Men (MSM) and Sex Workers (SWs), community systems strengthening (CSS), managing sub-recipients (SRs) and providing technical assistance (TA) as requested. The project is focused on providing support to and building the capacity of in-country organizations to deliver a package of high impact and high quality HIV services and products including HIV testing and counseling, linkages to HIV care and treatment and adherence support, STI diagnostic and treatment services, condom social marketing, and behavioral change communication (BCC) initiatives
We are looking for a Program Director to help us manage the Global Fund project. The person will be responsible for the overall achievement of the program in accordance with the approved Performance Framework and budget and will ensure that all program activities are carried out in accordance with the Global Fund and PSI’s established specifications, workplans, and budgets. The Program Director will play a critical role in overall supervision and monitoring of the performance of the SR who will be directly implementing a share of the program activities, and will need to liaise closely with the MoH to ensure overall success of the GF award, and with other national players and stakeholders who will be critical to successful program implementation.
- Provide overall senior leadership to the implementation of the program, actively identifying and addressing challenges and opportunities; take full responsibility for the overall achievement, performance and management of the program.
- Ensure work plan targets are developed and met in line with the program’s performance framework, reports are delivered to GF and PSI (and other stakeholders) accurately and on time, and that program implementation is in full compliance with GF and PSI policies and regulations and local laws.
- Responsible for overall financial oversight of project budgets, including supervising and management the preparation and monitoring of budgets and expenses in coordination with the Program Manager and the Finance Department.
- Responsible for the programmatic oversight and monitoring of sub-recipients.
- Ensure compliance of all data collection, reporting systems, and procedures as per schedule and deadline; ensure proper monitoring of program activities, consolidation and verification of M&E data quality.
- Coordinate submission of internal and external program progress reports as well as responses to requests by donors, government, and partners
- Take lead in strategic planning and program design, including close coordination and partnership with the Co-PR (MoH) and other national stakeholders and partners.
- Manage and direct a team of highly qualified program managers and advisors and help with recruitment for additional posts if required.
- Collaborate with Finance Department to prepare the budget and required reports; assist Finance Department with review of SR expenses.
- Actively represent PSI with external partners and stakeholders in programming areas impacting the successful and smooth running of the program.
- Ensure successful completion of NFM2 grant period.
- Represent PSI in external meetings, technical working groups, coordination meetings, etc. that impact the successful and smooth running of activities.
What are we looking for?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
- Measurement: You use hard evidence to make decisions and guide your work. You set clear goalposts in advance and explain clearly if you need to move them.
- Pragmatism: You’ll strive to deliver the best possible result with the resources available. You won’t be paralyzed by a need to make things perfect.
- Honesty: You own your mistakes and are open about your shortcomings – it’s the only way you’ll learn and improve.
- Collaboration: You’ll quickly establish a mental map of whom you can rely on for what, on your team, at headquarters, and in our country offices – if you try to do it all yourself, you won’t succeed.
- Trust: You accept limits to your sphere of control and give colleagues the benefit of the doubt
- Commitment: You are in it for the long-haul and want to grow with the organization, just like PSI serves its consumers and partners with host-country governments through thick and thin
- Master’s degree in public health, community health, social sciences or a related degree.
- Proven record of excellent management, leadership, decision-making and interpersonal skills.
- At least seven years of experience implementing and managing public health projects, ideally HIV related programs; strong preference will be given to those candidates with significant experience addressing the needs of people most at risk of HIV/AIDS, particularly key populations including MSM and Sex Workers.
- Significant experience implementing projects designed to build the capacity of CBOs, associations, and networks.
- Strong knowledge and experience applying monitoring and evaluation tools in program management and using information gathered to improve program performance.
- Demonstrated success in interacting with government agencies, host country governments and counterparts, and international donor agencies.
- Senior management experience in implementing large Global Fund financed programs will be advantageous.
- Ability to work in multi-cultural environment.
- Oral and written fluency in English
What would get us excited?
- Experienced manager. You have managed large programs especially from Global Fund. Have the experience of working with key populations. You have the ability to deal with complex budgets.
- Capacity Builder: You have experience in building institution, local technical, management and leadership capacity.
- Collaborative manager. You are able to inspire a very diverse team with the dignity they deserve.
- A connector. You have experience working with Ministries of Health, health care companies, or global health donors. You are able to identify new donors and partners for programs. You are able to spot trends and keep the PSI global headquarters informed about health needs and opportunities in Liberia.
- A Strategist and an innovator. You are creative, innovative and a strategic thinker. You have a strong interest in private-sector approaches to development and a proven ability to produce results.