Program Director - Prospects Youth Employment Program
Mercy Corps, Monrovia, Liberia
Closing Date for Applications:
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provide overall strategic direction to the program, and ensure that program deliverables are attained across a breadth of program pillars.
- Take an adaptive management approach to develop and innovate new processes, activities or services to improve impact.
- Lead the development of the proposal and implementation plan for an anticipated 2-year Prospects Phase III. While Phase II has focused on piloting and ascertaining impact of different components, Phase III will have a particular focus on transition and sustainability.
- Lead strategy for handover and collaboration with Government and/or other service providers and private sector partners
- Lead and support in design of a range of workforce development services, including developing and engaging consultants to develop curricula, designing services such as apprenticeships, links to microfinance, and young professional networks, and designing delivery processes in Mercy Corps-run Youth Opportunity Centers and with partners.
- Supporting the Social Business Manager in development of business model and capacity building of partner private sector companies.
- Collaborate with Psychosocial Manager to support program promoting pre-employment skills for vulnerable youth through a youth-led community-based program.
- Ensure effective coordination and collaboration with program partners, including private sector actors, national and international NGO partners and Government entities, and consistently cultivate new relationships.
- Ensure that an effective communication strategy is in place to share program progress and successes with program donors, HQ, Government and other stakeholders.
- Develop strategies to ensure capacity building and skill transfer to national partners and stakeholders.
Budget and Operational Management
- Develop, manage, and revise program budgets worth over $7m shares across multiple donors. Ensure rigorous accountability to donor rules and regulations and that all spending is donor-compliant and program-effective.
- Work collaboratively with support departments (finance, logistics, and HR) to ensure effective and timely delivery across 3 Mercy Corps program offices and 4 Youth Opportunity Centers in 3 Counties.
- Ensure that effective program management tools are in place, and that the project is delivered on time, on scope and on budget.
M&E and Learning
- Support the Results, Learning and Research Manager in the evolution Prospects’ innovative M&E and learning systems.
- Promote influence based on findings from the Prospects program to local and international stakeholders, as well as to Mercy Corps internally.
- Represent Mercy Corps at Conferences, technical working groups, and seminars related to youth employment and empowerment.
Staff Management and Training
- Create an environment conducive to high performance, learning, adaptive management and innovation.
- Oversee staff development and capacity building, with a focus on mentoring of senior team leads.
- Facilitate trainings to increase Mercy Corps staff technical and management skills.
- Provide detailed reports for internal and external use, and ensure high quality and timely donor reporting.
- Design and write proposal for Prospects Phase III, building on learning from Phase II with a greater focus on transition and sustainability
- Identify opportunities to develop new activities or additions to Prospects
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- 4 years of experience managing employment or economic development programs, ideally with a focus on youth.
- Expertise in strategic planning and management across complex multi-component programs or portfolios.
- Human-Centered Design approach to workforce development, social enterprise, livelihoods, or employment.
- Experience in managing teams and budgets.
- Experience engaging the private sector, government- and local partner-focused capacity building, and community level programming.
- Excellent relationship management skills.
- Excellent report writing skills and speaking skills and an excellent communicator.
- Excellent computer skills, including all Microsoft applications.
- Strong understanding and experience of donor policy and procedures.
- Excellent English writing skills are required.
- Experience in Africa preferred.