Program Manager – Food Security Emergency Programming
Mercy Corps, Ankara, Turkey
Closing Date for Applications:
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Strategy and Vision
- Recognize opportunities for innovative action and create an environment where alternative view points are welcomed.
- Set direction by prioritizing and organizing actions & resources to achieve objectives and contribute to country-wide strategy development.
- Develop and organize activities to secure resources for programs and convince stakeholders to provide support.
- Demonstrate flexibility, resilience and ability to maintain positive relationships and composure.
- Maintain high ethical standards and treat people with respect and dignity.
- Demonstrate an awareness of his/her own strengths and development needs.
- Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with consortium partners, sub-grantees, donors, local governments and other stakeholders.
- Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
- Oversee the program transition to a new modality and ongoing program management and administration of the teams across the various field locations;
- Ensure that program implementation is conducted with the respect to the security protocols, responsive to communities and partners and consistent with Mercy Corps’ relevant program guidelines, principles, values, quality standards and strategic plan;
- Ensure that beneficiaries are effectively targeted according to established vulnerability criteria;
- Develop partners MoUs and contracts;
- Develop program implementation strategies, including partnership frameworks, beneficiary targeting, distribution modalities and capacity building of partners;
- Establish and maintain effective program reporting and monitoring and evaluation systems for both internal and external use in coordination with the program team;
- Integrate community approaches, gender sensitivity and capacity building into activities, as appropriate;
- Ensure MC has up-to-date information on affected communities and coordinate effectively with relevant stakeholders;
- Ensure monitoring systems are in place, including gathering data for case studies.
- Ensure program filling system is in place, adheres to internal policies and donor regulation and is regularly maintained
- Ensure program implementation is on time, target and budget, using effective M&E systems to reach desired impacts.
- Create and maintain systems ensuring effective and transparent use of financial resources for timely and informative reporting in line with donor and Mercy Corps policies and procedures.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence;
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews;
- Supervise, hire and orient new team members as necessary;
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes;
- Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance & reach objectives.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership;
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- BA/BS or equivalent in international studies, economics or other relevant field; MA/S preferred.
- 3-5 years of international relief and development program management experience in emergency food security programming (experience with cash/voucher programming preferred).
- Previous experience operating and managing teams in insecure environments, required (experience with remote management preferred).
- Demonstrated ability to manage and communicate effectively with team members of varied work styles.
- Demonstrated flexibility and creativity in planning and problem solving.
- Proven ability to learn quickly, lead a program to achieve stated results and objectives.
- Experience with the development, implementation & compliance of USAID FFP-funded programs.
- Ability to effectively represent Mercy Corps and its interests to key stakeholders.
- Experience working with host governments, national and international NGOs.
- Effective verbal and written communication, multi-tasking, organizational and prioritization skills.
- Excellent oral and written English skills required; proficiency in Arabic is a plus
- Ability to work effectively with an ethnically diverse team in a sensitive environment.
- Previous experience in insecure environments.
- Internationally recognized qualification in project or program management or a commitment to obtain the qualification in the early months of work.