myAgro is an award-winning non-profit social enterprise based in West Africa. We have pioneered a mobile savings model that allows farmers to invest their own funds in high-quality seed, fertilizer, and agricultural training to increase their harvest and income by 50-100%. Our North Star is to help 1 million farmers increase their incomes by $1.50 per day by 2025 and lift themselves out of poverty. Learn more from myAgro’s founder and CEO here.
About Program Manager role
Program managers are leaders and high performers on myAgro’s team, focused on execution of a diverse program portfolio and management of staff. Program Managers independently and effectively carry out 5-8 projects, both field and office-based. You will operate in a fast-paced environment, juggling competing priorities and deadlines, while effectively leading and developing a team of talented Program Associates, office staff and/or field staff. You will invest in building your team’s capacity to work yourself out of a job.
The Program Manager for Tanzania will lead the start-up of a new country office in Tanzania. During the first year, the program manager’s main task will be to lead a pilot project in the regions of Lindi and Mtwara. The PM will be tasked with managing the pilot and building up a strong team that can manage the new company and the pilot project.
- Recruit and hire on a strong office and field team.
- Create a good working environment and culture based on myAgro values.
- Work closely with the HR consultant that will support you to create strong HR policy and advise you on the labor legislation.
- You will work closely together with the HR director based abroad.
- Create a budget, cash flow forecasts and cost control in concordance with the objectives set by the finance manager.
- Monitor that the administrative assistant inputs expenses correctly. Liaise with the accountant (based abroad) to verify if the finance procedures are correctly followed.
- Maintain the relationship with our accountancy firm based in Mtwara that will execute the tax declarations and advise us on other fiscal legislation.
- Control and approve all expenses and maintain a good relationship with the bank.
Logistics, Administration and Procurement:
- Implement a procurement system following requirements set forth by the finance team abroad.
- Monitor that the administrative assistant organizes housing and transport for employees and visitors efficiently and effectively.
- Ensure that the company and its operations comply to Tanzanian legislation.
- Lead the field team (5 to 11 staff members during pilot) in the execution of the operations plan.
- Train supervisors that will then train field agents in marketing and good agriculture practices.
- Help the field team understand how to market and sell our products- seed and fertilizer packages.
- Ensure that the field team are aware of their KPIs and follow-up on their progress towards meeting the KPI’s.
- As the head of the pilot project and start-up office, maintain good relationships with donors, partners and government institutions.
- Work with research institutes, partners and the myAgro agronomics-team abroad to find optimal packages and crops with the best returns for farmers.
- Ensure that the impact of myAgro on farmer yield is monitored.
Required Skills & Qualifications
- At least four years of work experience and prior management experience, preferably in a similar fast-growth social enterprise
- Two years’ experience working and living in a developing country
- Swahili and English proficiency – Business in Mali and Senegal is conducted in French, so having notions in French is an asset at myAgro
- Outstanding project management and managerial skills
- Strategic thought process and strong decision-making capabilities based on quantitative and qualitative assessments
- Creative and versatile approach to problem-solving; solution-oriented
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Strong communication skills and ability to work cross culturally
Preferred Skills & Qualifications
- A passion for the mission, vision and values of myAgro
- As with any start up, flexibility, a sense of humor and an open mind are necessary for success
- Capable to work independent, needs to report to a director located in another country
- TZ National strongly preferred