About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Strategy & Vision
- Responsible for overall leadership and strategic vision on the implementation, coordination and management of the Mercy Corps' project. Ensure that program implementation is responsive to communities and partners and aligned with Mercy Corps' principles, values and strategic plan.
- Coordinate with the teams, the Head of Office in Bouar, other program managers, Programs Director and M&E team on a regular basis to ensure the successful implementation of the project activities, in respect of Mercy Corps' and the donors' guidelines and procedures.
- Coordinate with consortium partners in collaboration with the Economic Development Consortium Coordinator (DRC staff member) on a regular basis to ensure the successful implementation of the project activities.
- Oversee program startup and ongoing program management and administration of teams across various field locations.
- Ensure that program implementation is responsive to communities and partners and consistent with Mercy Corps' relevant program guidelines, principles, values, quality standards and strategic plan.
- Ensure that beneficiaries are effectively targeted according to established vulnerability criteria.
- Develop partners' MoUs and contracts & oversee a training program for program partners.
- Ensure a detailed Work Plan is developed and updated regularly, with the participation of the project team, Consortium partners and project stakeholders. Integrate community approaches, gender sensitivity and capacity building into all activities as appropriate.
- Ensure program implementation is on time, target and budget, using effective M&E systems to reach desired impacts.
- Create and maintain systems ensuring effective and transparent use of financial resources for timely and informative reporting in line with donor and Mercy Corps policies and procedures.
- Fulfill Mercy Corps' Program Management Minimum Standards based on the organization-wide guide.
- Ensure all interventions adhere to Mercy Corps' Gender Policy, Do No Harm principles, and beneficiary accountability standards.
- Develop the capacity of the team, deepen understanding of their roles and assist with career development.
- Assist team members with information, tools and resources to improve performance & reach objectives.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular one on ones and performance reviews.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Hire, orient and lead team members as necessary.
Finance & Compliance Management
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to emergency programming.
- Draft and/or review scope of work to hire and manage any technical consultants, including review for technical efficacy and contract budget.
Influence & Representation
- Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with consortium partners, sub-grantees, donors, local governments and other stakeholders.
- Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Program Manager Assistant, national program manager.
Reports Directly To: Programs Director
Works Directly With: Consortium Coordinator,Technical Units, Other Support Department in Bangui
Knowledge and Experience
- BA/S or equivalent in economic development, business administration, international development, or relevant field.
- Significant experience (at least 4 years) managing programs in technical areas, including business and market development, VSLA and vocational training. An understanding and prior experience working with microfinance institutions in particular is preferred
- Experience in market research and value chain assessments preferred.
- Professional experience in CAR, as well as an existing professional network in CAR would be appreciated.
- Understanding of participatory methodologies for project design, implementation and evaluation.
- Excellent written and verbal French skills required. Sango language skills are an advantage.
- Outstanding interpersonal, partnership development and relationship management skills. Effective verbal and written communication, both internally and with external stakeholders; multi-tasking, organizational and prioritization skills.
- High level of proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Proven ability to follow procedures, meet team objectives and work independently and cooperatively with team members (including managing remote communications with colleagues in HQ) and diverse groups of people.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to professionally represent the organization and negotiate and defend Mercy Corps' and the Consortium's interests with a diverse range of government officials, local organizations and other groups.
- Demonstrated flexibility and creativity in planning and problem solving.
- Demonstrated commitment to develop, acquire, document and apply best practices in related fields, and apply solutions to obstacles.