Program Manager - Livestock CRP
International Livestock Research Institute, Kenya
Closing Date for Applications:
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Program Manager to provides leadership in the management of the CGIAR Research Program on Livestock (CRP Livestock) through support to the CRP Director and Management Unit. She/he will be responsible for developing multi-year program budgets, monitoring expenditure and suggesting corrective action when needed. They will also be responsible for ensuring the deployment of the ILRI Program Management Framework within the CRP Livestock. The CRP Management Unit is responsible for overseeing the planning, implementation and reporting of the CRP research agenda, including the program governance and its relationships with the implementing partners and the CGIAR System Management Office.
ILRI works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa.
- Work with the CRP Management Unit to develop and implement the program management strategy.
- Support development and monitor implementation of operational plans.
- Support the Performance & Partnerships Manager and CRP flagship administrators in preparing annual reports.
- Support supervision and oversight of the CRP Strategic Investment Fund, including activities implemented directly by the CRP Management Unit.
- Work closely with the CRP Director and the People and Organizational Development Directorate to determine the staffing needs and handle other HR matters.
- Prepare requests for recruiting staff and hiring consultants.
- Ensure the implementation of the ILRI Program Management Framework across the CRP and contribute to its continued development.
- Monitor the implementation of tasks assigned to CRP staff.
- Liaise with members of the CRP Independent Steering Committee (ISC) and Program Management Committee (PMC).
- Support administrative tasks within the CRP Livestock as required, including logistical support for meetings and travel and managing office supplies.
- Lead preparation of agreements in consultation with implementing program partners, liaising with the IP and Legal Unit as needed.
- Assist Flagship leaders and scientific staff to meet research compliance requirements.
- Work with the Communications Manager to develop the CRP communication plan and ensure the relevance and appropriateness of communications outputs from the program.
- Attend and assist in recording Flagship and CRP planning meetings.
- Coordinate the annual planning and budgeting exercise with flagship administrators, and support the ILRI Finance Unit in consolidating individual partner activity budgets at program level.
- Prepare detailed CRP management budgets and monitor expenditure against these.
- Liaise with the Finance Unit on expenditure monitoring at the overall program level and reporting to the CGIAR System Management Office.
- Create and implement financial planning, monitoring and reporting tools tailored to the specific needs of the CRP.
- Maintain an inventory of bilateral projects aligned to the program, and associated information.
- Liaise with implementing program partner administrative and financial services staff.
- Maintain communication with the System Management Office, maintain effective working relationships with partners and stakeholders and facilitate effective flow of information between team members in program activities.
- Ensure that CGIAR and ILRI policies relating to IP, Open Access and others are being followed at the Program level.
- Dealing with internal and external requests for information concerning the CRP.
- Masters/ Advanced Degree in Business Management, Business Administration or related field.
- Program Management Certification
- At least 7 years program management experience, with 3 years at managerial level
- Excellent multitasking skills
- Effective negotiation and problem-solving skills
- Proven experience in coordinating global projects/programs with multiple partners
- Advanced technical reporting skills
- The ability to plan effectively and manage risks