National Endowment for Democracy, Washington DC, United States
Closing Date for Applications:
The Program Officer (PO) will work with the regional director and senior program staff to manage grants in the Eastern European region. The Program Officer (PO) is a mid-career professional responsible for helping set strategy and define priorities; review of proposals; monitoring and evaluation of grants in Eastern Europe, with emphasis on Belarus; drafting analytical and descriptive material for internal and external offices; tracking political developments in Eastern Europe, with emphasis on Belarus; representing team internally with senior leadership and Board and external audiences; and providing programmatic support to senior staff.
- Manage a portfolio of grants assigned by supervisor.
- Assess and present proposals for consideration.
- Provide input in the development of strategy for Eastern Europe.
- Monitor grants through desk research and field visits.
- Track and analyze political developments in the region.
- Nurture and develop network of contacts in Washington and region.
- Travel regularly and independently to the region, including in difficult environments.
- Represent Endowment’s work in assigned portfolio internally and with external audiences.
- Mentor junior staff, where applicable.
- Provide advice, input and support for senior staff in the fulfillment of the Endowment’s objectives, including through participation in working groups and other efforts to improve NED’s overall functioning and effectiveness.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field; advanced degree preferred.
- 4+ years of applicable programmatic experience.
- Significant field work experience, study or travel.
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office suite, databases and other applications.