The Program Officer III will work as a member of the Francophone West Africa team within FHI 360’s West Africa Middle East Regional Office (WAMERO). WAMERO provides a country-centered approach to its partner countries by utilizing an expanded team of enterprise services establishing both the operating platform and shared services that support project implementation. The team is comprised of experts who provide programmatic, financial, human resource, information technology and contractual strategic leadership in the geographic area of intervention.
The Program Officer III position will support our bilateral projects in the French speaking West Africa region as well as the platform for activities being managed by the WAMERO team. The incumbent should be an experienced USAID project/contracts manager and read, write and speak French. Arabic is preferred.
- Oversees and represents the organization in all aspects of the program in coordination with project leaders. Ensuring integrity of design and implementation of program, achievement of project performance objective, and deliverables.
- Supervises and mentors staff and provides training on systems, policies, and regulations.
- Provides support to program management teams, administratively and technically, such as troubleshooting, updates to work plans, travel coordination and program activities monitoring.
- Supports program/project to provide high quality deliverables to clients.
- Provides technical input to projects, including monitoring and evaluation.
- Tracks performance against Financial Cost Objective (FCO) ID, project timelines, budget, objectives, and deliverables.
- Works with Project Manager on developing budgets, proposals, managing grants, project materials, and information.
- Provides timely and high quality work plans with programmatic, financial, technical reports.
- Monitors budgets, ensuring accountability of all project activities.
- Facilitates communication by answering partner inquires and monitoring project websites.
- Designs, implements, and coordinates specific program activities and may conduct research to achieve program goals.
- Develops, reviews, and/or translates reports, briefing papers, press releases, and presentations as necessary for one or multiple projects/programs.
- Documents and shares project accomplishments, challenges, and lessons learned among internal and external partners.
- Develops and maintains relationships serving as the liaison for internal units, (finance, contracts, HR), as well as government officials, local communities, and other organizations.
- Identifies resource development opportunities and supports the writing, budget preparation and general development of proposals.
- Represents organization in matters pertaining to the execution of the program.
There are 31 FHI 360 development competencies, of greatest focus for this particular job will be:
- Project Management (Planning and Time Management) - Accurately scopes out length and difficulty of tasks (sets objectives/goals/measures). Breaks down work into steps, schedules, task/people assignments. Marshals people, time, and resource efficiently. Arranges information in a useful manner, and orchestrates multiple activities at once.
- People Management (Making Others Great) – Facilitate professional development of staff by providing challenging, learning assignments and opportunities. Shares and solicits feedback monthly at the very least. Helps establish compelling development plans. Assigns responsibility and accountability for tasks/decisions. Monitors process, progress and results. Creates a climate in which people want to do their best.
- Creating and Managing Systems and Processes – Recognizes the need for standardization and balances client and organization need in systems design. Anticipates the effects of process change on people while optimizing task efficiency and simplicity.
- Employees are expected to possess, or have high-potential for development of these three fundamental competencies.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Strong knowledge of concepts, practices and procedures with program design.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Excellent and demonstrated program/project management skills.
- Ability to influence and collaborate with others.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data, identify errors and prepare reports.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Works on problems of complex scope that require evaluation of variable factors.
- Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining solutions.
- Networks with key internal and external personnel.
- Decisions may cause delays or failure to achieve results that impact departmental goals.
- Determines methods and procedures on new assignments and may coordinate activities of other personnel.
- Reports to the Associate Director.
- Bachelor's Degree or its International Equivalent • Knowledge/Information Services, Communications, Education, Environment, Health, Behavioral, Life/Social Sciences International Development, Human Development or Related Field.
- Project Management (PM) Certification preferred.
- Typically requires a minimum of 8 + years’ experience with program management, cross- cultural communications, US Government rules and regulations.
- Substantial experience using computerized information systems.
- Articulate and professional and able to communicate in a clear, positive fashion with clients and staff.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English; fluent in French required. Arabic fluency is preferred.
- Prior team lead experience preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership experience preferred.