IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information.
IREX seeks a Program Officer to support implementation of the Media Empowerment for a Democratic Sri Lanka (MEND) Program in Sri Lanka. The four-year, USAID-funded media development program focuses on media law reform, journalist training, media outlet capacity building, multimedia content production, development of online reporting skills, social media integration and reporting on gender and minority issues. The Program officer will ideally offer a broad range of skills in journalism, media management, content production, civil society, online media, project management and activities which support freedom of expression, transparency and independent media.
Under the supervision of the Deputy Chief of Party, the program officer will coordinate with designated media organizations and partners, project staff, and technical experts to provide training and grant assistance, contribute to design of project activities, and monitor progress and achievements of media organizations supported by IREX.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide direct coordination with selected media outlets and other program participants and partners to manage technical assistance, training, and other support.
- Support the Chief of Party and Deputy Chief of Party in all aspects of program implementation to ensure timely and accurate completion of deliverables
- Provide grant management and monitoring as directed by the Deputy Chief of Party
- Draft complex documents, including training materials, periodic program reports and evaluations and compile information for quarterly narrative reports on project activities
- Maintain complete records and a data base of activities including meetings, consultations, trainings and information required for monitoring and evaluation reporting
- Facilitate communication between technical experts and designated media organizations and program partners and provide guidance on training plans and activities
- Contribute to budget management, monitoring, and agreement compliance and provide input on administrative documents such as memorandums of understanding
- Review grantee reports and documentation for compliance with programmatic requirements of all grant agreements
- Contribute to project monitoring and evaluation and analyze results to inform project implementation
- Provide occasional translation of documents to and from English and local languages as requested
- Other programmatic and administrative duties as needed.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
Only citizens or residents of Sri Lanka will be considered.
- Minimum five years of working experience in media or media development and/or in fields specified in the “position summary” section above
- Substantial professional experience in journalism, broadcasting, program production, video production and/or multimedia content production is strongly preferred
- Ability to work with digital media and experience in using social media to engage online audiences
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Speaking, reading and writing proficiency in English is required. Additional proficiency in Sinhala and Tamil is strongly preferred
- Proven organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail, including the ability to prioritize
- Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office software applications, including Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and PowerPoint
- Ability to work independently and as a team member with the ability to take initiative, meet deadlines, and be flexible
- Demonstrated ability to plan strategically and creatively to meet specified objectives with strong ability to anticipate challenges and generate solutions
- Professionalism in written correspondence and report writing, excellent presentation and oral communication skills
- Strong work ethic, ability to work in a multicultural environment, work remotely and travel outside Colombo.