Program Officer, Rural Development
World Food Program , Mauritania
Closing Date for Applications:
CONTEXT AND PURPOSE OF THE MISSION :
- The World Food Program (WFP) is the largest humanitarian agency to fight hunger in the world . To achieve its zero hunger goal, WFP helps the most vulnerable populations meet their food and nutritional needs, strengthen their resilience and fight inequalities between men and women.
- The context of food security in Mauritania is characterized by seasonal shocks, risks of natural disasters, environmental degradation accentuated by climate change and the low resilience of households to face various risks and shocks. To address this issue, WFP is implementing a Country Strategic Plan (PSP) covering the period 2019-2022, the overall vision of which is to ultimately improve the resilience of the assisted populations.
- The latter provides for the establishment of integrated packages of interventions at the community level, of which food assistance activities for the creation of assets (3A) constitute the main base. These multi-year interventions are combined, within the same localities, with school canteens, nutritional support, unconditional assistance during the lean season, and other complementary activities implemented by other partners. They are based on a participatory planning approach led by and for the communities, with the support of Government technical services.
- These interventions systematically and transversally integrate issues of sensitivity to nutrition, promotion of gender equality and - in a particularly fragile context - conflict prevention. The process pays particular attention to gender aspects which require consideration of the needs of women and marginalized groups in the targeted communities. Realizing the assets will require equitable participation of women and men. They will have equal opportunities to participate in the implementation and management of the assets created and their control.
OBJECT OF THE MISSION:
- The objective of the mission is to ensure the management of the various programs and projects for the creation / rehabilitation of community assets implemented by WFP in Mauritania within the framework of the integrated resilience programming approach promoted by WFP in community scale. The volume and portfolio of the program under the direct management of theRural Development Program may evolve according to the resources mobilized.
SPECIFIC ATTRIBUTIONS :
- The Rural Development Program Officer will work within section 3A of the Program Unit, under the direct supervision of the 3A Manager (CSP Activity Manager) to whom he / she will provide direct support by ensuring the daily management of programs / projects that will be entrusted to it: planning and budgeting of activities, establishment of the necessary technical resources, establishment and continuous supervision of implementation partnerships, dialogue with national parties, internal coordination with sub-offices and support units and monitoring and evaluation. In general, the Rural Development Program Officer will have to guarantee the relevance, quality and sustainability of the planning process and the implementation of 3A activities under his / her responsibility.
Specifically, he / she will perform the following tasks, in relation to the programs / projects for which he / she will be responsible:
- Preparation of project documents and contribution to the drafting of activity reports;
- Regular updating of the planning of activities, and supervision of all the actions required to ensure their proper implementation (including the mobilization of technical, material and human resources);
- Ongoing management and supervision of activities in accordance with schedule and donor commitments;
- Management and continuous supervision of the financial situation of the programs;
- Selection, supervision and support of implementing partners 3A;
- Establishment and monitoring of contracts (Field Level Agreements) with implementing partners, including all associated administrative actions in collaboration with the Finance unit (entering into the financial system, making payments, certification of invoices and reports, etc.)
- Take all the necessary actions to carry out cash distributions, in conjunction with the CBT unit (review of scores and distribution plans / reports, etc.);
- Collaboration with central and decentralized government technical services (CSA, MEDD, MDR, ANGMV, mainly), in order to ensure the proper implementation of activities, accountability to national parties and visibility of WFP actions ;
- Animation of PSME (Seasonal Programming based on Livelihoods) and PCP (Participatory Community Planning) exercises, community action plans - so as to ensure the relevance of programmatic choices with regard to the seasonality of activities in the region and community priorities;
- Supervision of program assistant (s) within section 3A;
- Promote the establishment of synergies beyond 3A activities with the other interventions of the MAP integrated package and / or the activities implemented by other partners;
- Continuous liaison and capacity building of staff from the Sub-offices, particularly the 3A Focal Points, for the monitoring of activities for the creation of agro-sylvo-pastoral community assets in the program sites;
- Strengthening of the technical capacities of NGOs, WFP's cooperating partners and all other stakeholders in the implementation of the 3As;
- Support and monitoring of activities and progress / performance indicators, and documentation of good practices;
- Monitoring of project implementation, supervision of field actors to support communities during the process;
- Facilitation of joint PAM / CSA / ANGMV missions for supervision and evaluation as well as donor missions, etc. ;
- Follow-up for the drafting and validation of documents and technical sheets by the cooperating partners (topographic plans, technical sheets / standards, report, etc.);
- Preparation and dissemination of reports indicating the main lessons and recommendations
- Perform all other related tasks as requested by the supervisor
QUALIFICATION & LEVEL OF EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Hold a Master's degree or equivalent in Project Management, Rural Development, Agronomy, Economics or any other relevant diploma supported by five (5) years of experience in rural development project management.
- A Bachelor's degree in the same fields of competence with two (2) years of relevant professional experience can be considered instead of a Master's II.
Desired experiences for the position:
- Experience of at least five (5) years in the execution of development programs / projects, including at least three (3) years in a project manager position,
- Experience in supporting and training government technical service personnel,
- Experience in training, supervising NGOs or private companies in the implementation of rural projects,
- Experience in the development of TOR, tender documents, service or service contracts, as well as in the analysis of offers,
- Experience working in a multidisciplinary team,
- Good knowledge of gender issues in the rural Mauritanian context.
- Conceptual and analytical capacity and skills in leadership, initiative, maturity of judgment, tact, and negotiation;
- Ability to communicate in a clear and structured manner, both orally and in writing;
- Demonstrated writing skills (report production);
- Rigor and ability to work in an organized and autonomous manner;
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with people of different national and cultural origins;
- Flexibility and ability to work under pressure;
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with counterparts and staff within office, government departments, recipient communities, donors, NGOs and other United Nations agencies;
- Ability to set priorities and plan, coordinate and monitor own work plan and those under his supervision;
- Ability to analyze gender issues and integrate them into programming, program monitoring and evaluation.
- Fluency in written and oral French is required, as well as mastery of a national dialect and an intermediate level in English. A good knowledge of the IT tool (MS office).