The position is based in FAO Islamabad office, Pakistan. The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative; and direct supervision of Assistant FAO Representative-Programme (AFAOR) in Pakistan, assist Program Officer-Resilience for the achievement of overall results set out under the FAO country Programme Framework (CPF) and Strategic Objective 5 :
Assist in identification, preparation and formulation of programs and projects proposals particularly related to Country Programming Framework (CPF) and SO5 (Resilience/Emergencies), in close collaboration with UN Agencies, Multilateral/Bilateral Donors, Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs), and FAO Technical and Operational Divisions and Services at RAP and HQ;
Tasks and responsibilities
- Contribute to need assessments especially collecting and analyzing the secondary data related to SO5 (Resilience/Emergencies);
- Assist to formulate strategy /plans that respond to complex emergencies, ensuring linkage to early recovery activities and subsequent development actions at various level;
- Assist on the technical, administrative and operational aspects of emergency cash-based interventions for Pakistan e.g. budgetary monitoring of approved field expenditures, preparation of letter of agreement
- Liaise with main stakeholders in the implementation of cash-based interventions and resilience activities in Pakistan;
- Work with consortium partners (BDRP,MYHP) and provide technical inputs related to food security, agriculture, livelihoods;
- Assist in organizing meetings, seminars and training events under the resilience programme of Pakistan;
- Coordinate the planning, implementation and reporting amongst FAO teams which together make up the resilience programme;
- Develop capacities of field offices in programme implementation through continuous backstopping;
- Represent FAO in the relevant DRR coordination platforms /fora and contribute in strategic discussions;
- Support the documentation and sharing of resilience/social protection good practices and lessons learned;
- Support a substantive and strategic policy engagement on climate change with government and development partners, building on and ensuring consistency with FAO climate change strategy;
- Support capacity development of government agencies to programme on DRR and climate change-related issues.
- Perform other duties as required
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University degree in agriculture, agricultural economics, rural development, management and or related discipline
- At least ten (10) years of relevant experience in large and complex projects that combines, project planning and formulation, agriculture, food security and nutrition, DRR, M&E, emergency response with UN Organization or an international NGO, in a multi-cultural offices environment is required.;
- Working knowledge (Level C) of English
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Remain open to change and ability to manage complexity.
- Ability to work and act under pressure and with discretion in multicultural environment.
- Demonstrate capacity to plan, prioritize and deliver tasks on time to meet goals in a high pressure environment.
- Working experience with UN and/or international organizations will be an asset.
- Advance user of computers, office equipment and database software;
- Advanced knowledge and experience in database management
- Experience in coordination and implementing of humanitarian relief and or development project preferably in one or more of the areas which include Agriculture, Livelihoods & economic development and Food security and Resilience