The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
Overall purpose of the role: (1-2 sentences)
The ReDSS Program Support Officer is responsible to provide efficient and effective administrative and human resource support functions for the Regional Durable Solutions Secretariat (ReDSS) Ethiopia country unit. The Regional Durable Solutions Secretariat (ReDSS) is a coalition of 14 NGOs working in the search for durable solutions in East Africa. ReDSS Regional Secretariat is based in Nairobi with country units in Somalia and Ethiopia. It is a coordination and information hub that focuses on research and knowledge management, program support, capacity development, learning, and policy dialogue.
Responsibilities: (group around key responsibility areas with bullet points under each responsibility area)
- Support the organization and hosting of ReDSS trainings in Ethiopia and the region
- Support the organization of learning events in Addis Ababa, Jijiga, and in the region
- Contribute to, edit, and develop program reports for various audiences
- Support the development of ReDSS publications and communication materials
- Support the organization of ReDSS research and learning processes
- Support the organization of ReDSS quarterly and annual meetings
- Update ReDSS internal and external mailing lists and database
- Support the coordination of research initiatives in line with ReDSS operational research priorities
- Represent ReDSS and contribute to discussions and learning of durable solutions programming and policy
- Assist in HR, financial management and monitoring of ReDSS budgets, expenditure, and compliance with donors’ rules and regulations
- Support ReDSS Ethiopia staff in administrative functions, including procurement processes, travel bookings, and reporting
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in similar positions, including in supporting the organization of events, meetings and workshops
- Experience in financial management and program reporting
- Knowledge of and experience with the context of displacement-related issues and the humanitarian / development nexus in Ethiopia
- Strong administrative and human resource skills with proven experience in providing support to programs or secretariats
- Strong writing skills and ability to effectively document program learning and reporting
- Strong demonstrable experience in admin roles and budget monitoring of projects within an NGO (local or international)
- Excellent inter-personal facilitation and communication skills to build trusted relationships with a wide array of humanitarian and development partners, donors, Government agencies, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the organization
- Strong IT command, close familiarity with the maintenance and management of template-style websites and experience of applying ICT (information communications technology) to knowledge management
- Flexibility, proactive engagement, ability to work under pressure and to demonstrate high tolerance for change, complexity and unpredictability
Education: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
- Basic or advanced University degree in economics, accounting, finance or business administration, human resource or programme management
- Languages: (indicate additional languages required for the role e.g. French, Arabic,etc)
- Fluent in spoken and written English and Amharic
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Acting in line with DRC's vision and values