Org. Setting and Reporting
The Department of Operational Support (DOS) provides end-to-end operational support, advisory services and other solutions to the operating entities across the Secretariat, including other departments, offices-away-from-headquarters, field missions, and regional commissions.
The Capacity Development Operational Training Service (CDOTS) provides operational training, including training on enterprise resource management system and leads as the main facilitator of business process management activities in the UN Secretariat.
The Operational Training Section (OTS) is responsible for supporting clients in the design, development and delivery of operational support capacity development programmes in the areas of human resources, finance, supply chain management, healthcare management, occupational health and safety and ICT, including training programs and knowledge management. The Section is also responsible for the design, development and delivery of senior leadership governance and resource stewardship programs and operational support to the delegation of authority framework.
This position is located in the Operational Training Section (OTS), Capacity Development and Operational Training Service (CDOTS), Department of Operational Support (DOS). The Programme Assistant reports to the Programme Officer.
- The focus of the position is to support the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of operational support capacity building, training and knowledge management programmes.
Within limits of delegated authority and depending on location, the Programme Assistant may be responsible for the following duties:
- Provides assistance in support of planning and implementation activities/processes for governance, resource stewardship, and operational support and capacity development.
- Researches, compiles, analyses, summarizes, and presents basic information/data on operational support capacity development, operational training and knowledge management.
- Assists in the coordination of programme/project planning and preparation; monitors status of programme/project proposals; takes necessary action to ensure project documents are completed and submitted to relevant parties for approval.
- Monitors budgetary commitments, including verification of charges and obligation documents in Umoja for all financial transactions; prepares periodic budget revisions and ensures appropriate resource allocations; reconciles accounts with amended budget; evaluates trends of financial implementation and makes necessary recommendations.
- Assists in the monitoring and evaluation of programmes/projects; categorizes, updates, tracks and analyses data related to programmes/projects, e.g. accounting records, outputs, resources utilized, deviations/revisions, etc.; carries out periodic status reviews, identifies issues and initiates requisite follow-up actions; prepares revised budget estimates; reports on budget revisions, expenditures and obligations, verifies availability of funds; ensures necessary approval and entry in computerized budget system; initiates financial authorizations for expenditures.
- Collaborates with programme/project managers on performance reporting; liaises with relevant parties on the interpretation of the activities/services scheduled in the programme budget and various planning instruments such as the medium-term plan and internal work plans; provides assistance on reporting requirements, guidelines, rules and procedures and ensures completeness and accuracy of data submitted.
- Drafts programme/project summaries and other written outputs such as newsletters and analytical notes on operational support capacity development and training; coordinates the review and clearance processes, including with the editor of translation services, etc. on the finalization and publication of reports in multiple languages.
- Contributes to preparation and administration of various survey and needs assessment initiatives, including review, analysis and interpretation of responses, identification of problems/issues and preparation of preliminary conclusions.
- Serves as focal point for coordination, monitoring and expedition of various capacity building initiatives and activities, involving extensive liaison with diverse organisational units to initiate requests, prepare standard terms of reference against programme/project objectives, obtain necessary clearances, process and follow-up on administrative actions and resolve issues related to project implementation, e.g. recruitment and appointment of personnel, travel arrangements, organisation of and participation in training/study tours, authorization of payments, disbursement of funds, procurement of equipment and services, etc.
- Assists in performing consulting assignments, in collaboration with clients, by planning and facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions, and assisting in developing the action plan the client will use to manage change.
- Prepares, maintains and updates internal databases on training, knowledge management and professional certification initiatives; designs and generates a variety of periodic and ad hoc reports, statistical tables, graphic content, and other background materials/notes to facilitate inspection and other reviews.
- Drafts correspondence and communications related to all aspects of programme/project administration, including work plan and budgets, revisions and other related issues, as well as prepares unit contributions for a variety of periodic reports.
- Provides guidance and training to new/junior staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in programme or project administration, operational support for capacity development and training, knowledge management, technical cooperation or related area is required.
- Experience supporting learning and capacity-building initiatives for synchronous and asynchronous courses is required.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another United Nations official language is an advantage.