UNDP, Skopje, Macedonia
2 years of relevant work experience
Closing Date for Applications:
- For two decades, the UNDP office in Skopje has been an active provider of technical advice and program implementation in the areas of democratic governance and human rights, with an emphasis on decentralization, local development, and social cohesion. In recent years, these efforts have been oriented around assisting the country meet the rule of law standards required by the European Union (EU) membership and more recently also on achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by 2030. Our aim is to support the creation and smooth functioning of efficient, responsive, transparent, and accountable governance institutions at all levels.
- UNDP is now looking to recruit a Programme Analyst (Programme Manager) to serve in our Democratic Governance Unit. Working under direct supervision of the Head of Unit, the Progrmame Analyst (Programme Manager) will join a team 13-16 staff with responsibility for supporting and monitoring the implementation of a portfolio for further growth. Much of this work focuses currently on helping municipalities improve the delivery of public services, but future areas of expansion are expected to include support to civil society and further diversification of the rule of law efforts.
- Under the guidance and direct supervision of the head of the Democratic Governance Unit, the Programme Analyst (Programme Manager) shall analyze political, social and economic trends and participate in the formulation, management and evaluation programme activities within the DG portfolio, with particular focus on the Empowering Municipal Councils project and inter- municipal cooperation projects.
- The Programme Analyst (Programme Manager) is expected to command substantive expertise in democratic governance; to represent UNDP in internal and external settings; and to cultivate relationships with donors, other UNDP agencies and national partners. The Programme Analyst (Programme Manager) is expected to be able to work independently; cope with tight deadlines; and manage multiple initiatives calmly and confidently. Sharing knowledge and collaborating with other office teams are also requirements.
- S/he works in close collaboration with the Country Office Programme and Operations team, Democratic Governance projects personnel, the Government and other relevant local institutions
- and civil society organizations, regional and international institutions, and multi-lateral and bi- lateral donors.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Manages the local government programme (Empowering Municipal Councils Project), ensuring implementation in a cost-effective manner
- Contributes to development and implementation of the Democratic Governance programme
- Supports effective management of the Democratic Governance programme
- Supports forging of strategic partnerships and mobilization of new resources for the programme
- Provision of top-quality advisory services to national partners and other UNDP and UN units
Manages the local government programme (Empowering Municipal Councils Project), ensuring implementation in a cost-effective manner:
- Ensure the Programme components are implemented in a coherent and integrated manner, in line with UNDP procedures;
- Plan and coordinate available financial and other resources of the Programme;
- Ensure full accountability, transparency and the principle of competition in the allocation of resources, and procurement of services, works and goods;
- Ensure high quality financial and substantive monitoring, including identification of operational and financial risks and issues and development of solutions;
- Coordinate appropriate and timely reporting to the CO, SDC and other donors;
- Support coordination of critical Programme activities with relevant local and international stakeholders through participatory planning and implementation mechanisms;
- Coordinate and support Programme implementation progress by components in consultation with beneficiaries, partners and donor;
- Manage a team of local staff of the Programme in the area of responsibility;
- Ensure gender is effectively mainstreamed throughout the Programme activities, work plans, budgets, reports, researches, analyses and, where specifically relevant, analyzed in detail;
- Ensure gender quality is mainstreamed throughout team, consultant and staff management activities;
- Ensures knowledge on gender equality is incorporated in Programme knowledge management activities and products;
Contributes to development and implementation of the Democratic Governance programme:
- Analyze country data and trends in area of Democratic governance;
- Develop strong relationships with national partners in area of Democratic governance;
- Provides substantial input for generating proposals for new projects;
- Support coordination of Programme activities with relevant local and international stakeholders through participatory planning and implementation mechanisms;
- Maintain strong relationships with national partners involved in Democratic governance;
- Ensures gender is effectively mainstreamed throughout the Programme activities, work plans, budgets, reports, researches, analyses, and where specifically relevant, analyzed in detail.
Supports effective management of the Democratic Governance programme:
- Contribute to formulation of the Democratic governance programme, incorporating both UNDP global priorities and national priorities and strategies;
- Oversee all stages of implementation of Democratic governance projects
- Perform Atlas functions in line with role assigned in ICF;
- Paticipate in reqruitment for projects;
- Ensure high quality financial and substantive monitoring, including identification of operational and financila risks and issues and development of solutions;
- Initiation of a project, presentation of the project to PAC, coordination of the mandatory and budgetary re-phasing excercises, closure of pojects through review;
- Financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of the projects, idenification of operational and financial problems, dveloment of solutions.
Supports forging of strategic partnerships and mobilization of new resources for the programme
- Build substantive partnerships with all relevant counterparts;
- Keep abreast of donor strategies and assess opportunities for resource mobilization;
- Work on the relationships of the Programme with the local authorities and other Programme stakeholders, ensuring full understanding, cooperation and appropriate fit of the Programme activities with the biggest needs of the beneficiaries;
- Ensure full understanding, cooperation and, wherever possible, synergy of the Programme activities with other efforts of the International Community’s in the area;
- Establish close working relations with all relevant partners;
Provision of top-quality advisory services to national partners and other UNDP and UN units:
- Identify data, analysis and trends related to democratic governance policies;
- Keep abreast of best practices and lessons learned in democratic governance;
- Share knowledge and expertise with national counterparts and colleagues alike;
- Contribute to UNDP/UN knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Train operations and project staff on programme issues;
- Pursue learning opportunities.
Impact of Results
- The key results have an impact on the efficient, effective, transparent and accountable implementation of local government programme (Empowering Municipal Councils project) including and other similar interventions that may arise. In particular, the key results have an impact on the design, operation and programming of activities; the creation of strategic partnerships; the achievement of delivery and resource mobilization targets; and the continuing relevance of UNDP as a creative, innovative, and reliable development partner.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in the field related to public administration, law, business administration, economics, or related field.
- Bachelor’s Degree with additional two years of experience may be accepted in lieu of Master’s Degree.
- At least 2 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing development advice and hands-on experience in programme/project management, design, monitoring (substantial and financial) and evaluation of development projects.
- Work experience and substantive knowledge in the field of democratic governance and local government must also be demonstrated.
- Proven track record in dealing with local governments, CSOs and donors Experience in projects dealing with inter-municipal cooperation will be considered as an asset.
- Experience in the use of computers and office software packages and handling of web-based management systems
- Language proficiency is required in both written and oral English and Macedonian. Knowledge of other languages shall be considered an advantage.