A JPO is being recruited in the UNDP Rwanda Country Office within the framework of SDGs domestication and response by focusing on strengthening civil society contribution and oversight capacities taking into consideration the global commitment to leave no one behind and reach the farthest behind first. Through its existing CSOs strengthening program, the JPO will promote community driven development with due consideration of key targeted groups particularly persons with disabilities, youth, women and girls. UNDP Rwanda Country programme 2018-2023 focus on promoting sustainable development with focus at the community level and the most vulnerable. According to the Rwanda Governance Scorecard 7th edition launched in 2020, the role of non-state actors scored the lowest with 74,8% within the pillar related to civil and political rights hence calling to increased investment in the participation and voice of civil society organizations in development and public processes. Beyond the CSOs’ role to empower citizens, they also hold an important accountability role holding the Government and all duty bearers accountable in the delivery of programs and services aiming at accelerating SDGs domestication at national and community levels. Moreover, the Government of Rwanda recently initiated the process of developing the CSOs policy which as soon as it is adopted by cabinet will require concerted efforts by partners to further explore the CSOs space for sustainable development and accountable governance.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provision of top-quality coordination and project technical support to UNDP and partners to the CSOs strengthening program:
- Analyze strategically development trends in the Country to propose policy and programme strategies to accelerate the localization of SDGs with due consideration of the needs of CSOs and the promotion of fundamental rights at community level
- Identification of priority areas for SDGs domestication and leave no one behind within the CSOs strengthening programme framework
- Design, facilitate and contribute to policy dialogue with the Government, Development partners, CSOs, the media for the empowerment of CSOs in Rwanda
- Promote partnership between UNDP and Government, Development partners, CSOs, the private sector and the media towards CSOs stretghening in Rwanda
Design and coordinate the programme and operation implementation strategies:
- Thorough analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country and preparation of substantive inputs to UNSDF, CPD, and other strategic documents.
- Promote the promotion of CSOs in UNDP programmes and projects as well as partnership frameworks;
- Facilitate the operationalization of the leave no one behind and other UN programming principles from planning, budgeting, implementation, monitoring and evaluation;
- Develop an advocacy strategy and coordinate its implementation;
- Coordinate planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the CSOs programme and funded projects;
- Ensure CSOs programme compliance with project management, communication and accountability requirements.
- 3. Promote partnership and resource mobilization:
- Identify potential partners and stakeholders and mobilize partnership and collaboration
- Devise a resource mobilization strategy and coordinate its implementation
- Develop a communication plan and its implementation
- Ensure accountability and timely reporting to donors and partners
Build capacities of CSOs and key stakeholders for accountable governance in Rwanda:
- Design a capacity development strategy and plan for CSOs empowerment in Rwanda
- Implement and monitor a capacity development plan for CSOs empowerment for organizational development, policy engagement and community driven development;
- Promote CSOs engagement, partnership and collaboration with by public and private institutions as well as donors and the media
- Identify good practices and promote their dissemination
- Facilitate knowledge sharing and learning for the partners to the CSOs strengthening program and beyond
- Contribute to “Delivering as One” in Rwanda through the relevant working groups and reporting mechanisms
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Public Policy, Public Administration and management, Governance, Development studies, Law, Business Administration or related field.
- A minimum of 2 years of relevant professional experience in development work;
- Hands on experience in project management
- Experience in monitoring, evaluation and reporting
- Experience in managing funding for development projects
- Fluent in English required and knowledge of French is desirable