Background Information - Job-specific
The United Nations General Assembly resolution 71/251 established the Technology Bank for the Least Developed Countries and adopted its Charter on 23 December 2016.
The objectives of the Technology Bank include strengthening the science, technology and innovation capacity of least developed countries; and promoting the development and implementation of national and regional science, technology and innovation strategies. This position is located in the Technology Bank for the LDCs, based in Gebze, Turkey. The Programme Assistant reports to the Managing Director of the Technology
Bank. For more information, please see https://www.un.org/technologybank/.
Within limits of delegated authority the Programme Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
- Assists in the coordination of programme/project planning and preparation work for,typically, a medium-size and complex component of the Technology Bank’s programme/project initiatives; monitors status of programme/project activities and receipt of relevant documentation for review and approval.
- Compiles, summarizes, and presents basic information/data on specific programmes/project and related topics or issues.
- Reviews project documents, especially cost plans/budgets, for completeness and compliance with relevant rules and procedures prior to submission for final approval and signature; identifies inconsistencies; distributes project documents to relevant parties upon approval.
- Reviews budget revisions; verifies availability of funds; ensures necessary approval and entry in computerized budget system.
- Serves as focal point for administrative coordination of programme/project implementation activities, involving extensive liaison with Administrative and Programme Officers and diverse organizational units to initiate requests, obtain necessary clearances, process and follow-up on administrative actions, e.g. recruitment and appointment of personnel, travel arrangements, training/capacity development, workshops, authorization of payments, disbursement of funds, procurement of equipment and services, etc.
- Compiles, summarizes and enters data on project delivery; drafts related status reports, identifying shortfalls in delivery, budget overruns, etc., and brings to the attention of management.
- Drafts correspondence and prepares and updates and periodic reports, briefing notes, graphic
- and statistical summaries, accounting spreadsheets, etc.
- Provides general office assistance; responds to complex information requests and inquiries;
- reviews, logs and routes incoming correspondence; sets up and maintains files/records;
- organizes meetings, workshops; handles routine administrative tasks, such as maintaining
- attendance records, assessing telephone billing, etc.
- Provides guidance/training to new/junior staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Work implies frequent interaction with the following:
- Programme and Administrative Officers associated with assigned programmes/projects.
- Staff in the EO DESA.
- Staff in coordinating units across the institution, e.g. Procurement, Administration/Finance/Budget, Translation, Human Resources, etc.
- Provides reliable administrative and where required technical coordination of programme/project planning and preparation activities and general office support services.
- Processes work and requisite follow-up accomplished under some supervision, seeks advice from and/or reporting to supervisor as needed. Accurately prepares reports. Consistently applies appropriate policies, guidelines and procedures. Effectively and in a timely manner, liaises and interacts with colleagues and concerned parties internally and externally.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in programme or project administration, technical cooperation or related area.
- Fluency in oral and written Turkish and English is required.
- Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.