United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, Almaty, Kazakhstan
Closing Date for Applications:
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the direct supervision and functional authority of the Director of UNESCO Almaty Office, the incumbent shall provide assistance to UNESCO Almaty Programme Specialists in supporting Member States in Central Asia (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan) in the Education, Science, Culture and Information/Communication fields. In particular, the incumbent will:
- Contribute to the implementation of programme activities.
- Assist in the implementation of programme activities: search, locate, compile, review and update of information and data used in the development of documents, work plans and budgets; process data in/from automated systems in order to support preparation of regular and ad-hoc budgetary/financial updates, to report on programme delivery, statistics and/or projections for use and scrutiny by the supervisor.
- Support the organization and set up meetings, events, workshops organized by the UNESCO Almaty Office.
- Contribute to programme administration.
- Assist in performing programme logistics (including contract and travel arrangements).
- Assist in preparing all information on programmes and projects in the Cluster upon request of Head quarters’ (HQ) or donors.
- Prepare a variety of administrative documentation; initiate administrative procedures and ensure follow-up; review requests for payments against contractual obligations, and provide information on payment status and remaining obligations to supervisor(s).
- Contribute to maintain relations with partners.
- Facilitate contacts with UNESCO’s partners and UN organizations, make appointments, receive visitors and take telephone calls, answering enquiries and/or referring them to the appropriate specialist. Liaise with HQ services to obtain additional information/clarification.
- Liaise with National Commissions, UN Agencies and HQs in administrative and finance matters.
- Contribute to the preparation of publications, translations, records, meetings:
- Assist in providing inputs for publications, presentations, briefings, speeches and missions.
- Initiate, draft and translate news items on all UNESCO Almaty Unit's activities implemented by UNESCO Almaty Office and identify, revise and translate items related to any other UNESCO’s actions, that are relevant to the Cluster countries.
- Record, update and retrieve information, documentation and data from the Office filing systems.
- Prepare travel requests and files for official travels, organize them, and ensure follow-up in close cooperation with the finance and administration unit.
- (Core / Managerial) Teamwork (C) Communication (C) Planning and organizing (C) Results focus (C) Accountability (C) - For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Completed secondary, technical or vocational education.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant work experience in secretarial, administrative and/or programme support service.
- Experience in handling of web based management systems.
Skills and Competencies
- Ability to work as part of a team, to take initiative and to provide quality and timely support and services.Work in a team in a multicultural environment.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, including ability to draft correspondence and correct documents.
- Good organisational, coordination and filling skills.
- Ability to interpret rules and manage priorities in order to meet tight deadlines.
- Discretion and capacity to deal efficiently and tactfully with people of different cultural backgrounds.
- Good ICT skills with proficiency in the use of MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.).
- Excellent knowledge of English and Russian.
- Specialized training/certification in secretarial, administrative or related fields.
- Relevant work experience in the related field acquired at the national or international level.
- Working experience within UNESCO or UN agencies.