- This position is located in the Regional Section for Europe, West and Central Asia (RSEWCA), Division for Operations (DO), United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC), Vienna, Austria. The incumbent will report to the Chief of the Section.
Within limits of assigned authority, the Programme Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
- Assist in the coordination of programme/project planning and preparation work for, the programme/project initiatives; monitor status of programme/project proposals and receipt of relevant documentation for review and approval.
- Compile, summarize, and present information/data on specific programmes/project and related topics or issues.
- Review project documents, especially cost plans/budgets, for completeness and compliance with relevant rules and procedures prior to submission for final approval and signature; identify inconsistencies; distribute project documents to relevant parties upon approval.
- Review budget revisions; verify availability of funds; ensure necessary approval and entry in computerized budget system.
- Serve as focal point for administrative coordination of field related programme/project implementation activities, involving extensive liaison with a diverse organizational units and relevant field offices to initiate requests, obtain necessary clearances, process and follow-up on administrative actions, e.g. recruitment and appointment of personnel, travel arrangements, training/study tours, authorization of payments, disbursement of funds, procurement of equipment and services, etc.
- Compile, summarize and enter data on project delivery; draft related status reports, identifying shortfalls in delivery, budget overruns, etc., and bring to the attention of management.
- Provide general office assistance; respond to complex information requests and inquiries; review, log and route incoming correspondence; set up and maintain files/records; organize meetings, workshops; handle routine administrative tasks, such as maintaining attendance records, assessing telephone billing, etc.
- Perform other work-related duties as assigned.
Professionalism: Has knowledge of internal policies, processes and procedures generally and in particular those related to programme/project administration, implementation and evaluation, technical cooperation, programming and budgeting. Has understanding of the functions and organization of the work unit and of the organizational structure and respective roles of related units. Has ability to work well with figures and budgets, undertake basic research and gather information from standard sources. Has ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- A minimum of five years of experience in programme or project administration, technical cooperation or related area is required.
- Working experience with an ERP system is required.
- Working experience with SAP/Umoja is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of Russian is desirable. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.