The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The World Food Programme Somalia activities include food assistance for relief, emergency school feeding, nutrition and food assistance for assets creation through provision of in-kind and cash-based transfers.
This position is open to qualified Somali candidates. Female candidates in particular, are encouraged to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of Programme Policy Officer and overall supervision of the Head of Area Office, the incumbent is responsible for the following duties:
- Act as the school feeding focal point for the Area Office which includes implementation and monitoring of the school feeding programme.
- Ensure timely delivery of food commodities and non-food items to the targeted schools;
- Coordinate the implementation and management of school feeding activities and follow up on proper food handling, food preparation, hygiene and palatability of meals;
- Ensure timely submission of monthly distribution reports and data entry;
- Ensure timely submission of monthly invoices to guarantee timely payment to the Ministry of Education;
- Attend monthly education cluster meetings and ensure WFP is properly represented. Share WFP school feeding activities with other stakeholders to avoid overlapping of activities;
- Organize monthly coordination meetings with the Ministry of Education to discuss issues affecting the school feeding programme;
- Ensure MOUs between WFP and the Ministry of Education are prepared in a timely manner;
- Participate in school feeding baseline surveys including internal and external monitoring as required;
- Ensure WFP visibility and accountability in each school;
- Participate in the joint assessment and selection of new schools in line with the WFP selection criteria;
- Coordinate closely with the M&E unit to ensure that all implementation issues reported are addressed and closed on time;
- Provide guidance and on job training to Ministry of Education staff on food handling and other trainings;
- Review and verify all Area Office invoices against deliveries;
- Monitor food receipts, dispatches and distribution to various programme activities supported by the Area Office;
- Within the specific area of responsibility, compile data and support analysis and preparation of reports in order to support operational decision-making;
- Perform accurate, timely recording of data on school feeding project statistics and other relevant information related to the programme for easy tracking and reference;
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in education, social services or other related functional area is desirable.
- Experience: At least four years of responsible support experience in development, food assistance, food security analysis or in a field related to programme functions in a humanitarian context is desirable.
- Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Somali is a requirement.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Ability to facilitate implementation of food assistance programmes using basic understanding of principles and good practices of programme design, implementation and monitoring.
- Demonstrates ability to facilitate, food assistance programme implementation that deploys full range of transfer modalities with an understanding of basic principles guiding modality selection and implementation.
- Understands basic technical concepts and data and their relevance to food assistance programmes.
- Hands on experience and knowledge in the area of work is a plus.