The United Nations World Food Programme is the world`s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes.
In September 2016, WFP signed the largest humanitarian deail in European history: a €348 million contract with the European Union to roll out a programme known as the Emergency Social Safety Net (ESSN). ESSN programme in Turkey contributes of the goals laid out in the Grand Bargain. Partnering with the European Commission’s Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid department (ECHO), WFP has joined forces with the Turkish Red Crescent and the Government of Turkey to lessen the suffering of over a million refugees in Turkey.
ESSN is the first programme of its kind, integrating humanitarian assistance into a national safety net, with rapid deployment and scalability. Therefore, monitoring, evaluation and learning are critical components of this innovative project. Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) is one of WFP’s core responsibilities within the ESSN, and the Ankara based Vulnerability Analysis and Mapping (VAM)/M&E unit is responsible for the design and oversight of M&E systems across the country.
While the ESSN provides assistance to refugees who live off-camp, Turkey also hosts almost 230,000 refugees who live in camps. WFP also provides e-voucher assistance to refugees in camps, and M&E is also an essential component of the in-camp programming. An M&E Assistant is being recruited to support both ESSN and in camp M&E activities.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related
- functional area (Economics, International Relations, Political Science and Public Administration, Sociology or Social Work) is desirable.
- At least one year of progressively responsible support experience in a field related to: Primary or secondary data collection and analysis.
- Prior experience in consolidating and cleaning household data
- Skills in report writing and giving presentations
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of several methods for data analysis, qualitative and quantitative.
- Computer skills: Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Turkish
- Other UN languages considered an asset
- Nationality and Residency: The applicant should be either a Turkish national or have a valid Turkish residence at the time of application.
To perform specialized and/or standardized policy and programme-related processes and activities to support the effective delivery of assistance packages.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive):
- Supporting VAM/M&E Unit
- Support VAM and M&E Officers in development of tools for the monitoring and assessment of basic needs in line with innovative methodologies and best practice.
- Support VAM and M&E Officers in regular extraction and analysis of collected data.
- Support VAM and M&E Officers for inputs and review of reports produced by the VAM/M&E unit for external and internal circulation.
- Update and follow-up of Turkey Country Office M&E plan, ensuring fulfilment of reporting requirements both corporately and towards donors.
- Support the VAM and M&E officers in administrative and procurement related tasks.
- Household Data Collection, Analysis & Reporting
- Contribute to the design and development of household surveys, including development of tools in tablets (using ODK or Kobo), and regular checking of collected data.
- Clean and analyse household level data, develop key indicators and compute descriptive statistics.
- Frequent contact with field-based staff to ensure data collection tools are understood and targets are met
- Coordination and Cooperation
- Serve as key link between VAM/M&E unit and field-based M&E staff, ensuring that rigorous quality standards are maintained.
- Provide a link between VAM and the M&E team, ensuring close coordination of data collection and analysis.
- Liaise with implementing partners (internal and external) to monitor ongoing projects, ensuring effective collaboration, timeliness and efficiency and highlight potential risks to project delivery.
- Coordinate with the Cairo Regional Bureau M&E unit to ensure quarterly PDM datasets and analysis results are shared.
- Support information management efforts, ensuring all final datasets and reports are securely stored.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Analytical skills, including skills in data cleaning and analysis of quantitative and qualitative data
- Clear communication skills
- Ability to coordinate across multiple stakeholders
- Organizational skills and ability to multitask
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Experience with database management
- Knowledgeable in at least one standard statistical package (SPSS, Stata, SAS or other).
- Information management and/or graphic design
- Skills in ArcGIS
- Prior experience in cash-based programming and/or social safety nets
- Arabic language will be considered an asset