The Programme Associate (PA) provides support to deliver CO programme and projects of the Climate Change and Environment Unit.Under overall guidance and reports directly to the Assistant Country Director (ACD)/ Head of the Climate Change and Environment Unit. The PA works directly and agree daily tasks with UNDP’s Programme Analysts/Officers (POs) in charge of programs/projects, and collaborates with UNDP programme and operations staff, relevant GOVN and project staff, staff in the CO and UNDP HQs/Regional levels, relevant staff of development partners.
The UNDP Vietnam Programme portfolio consists of a mix of national implementation and direct agency implementation. In the 2017-2021 period, in adjustment to Vietnam’s Lower Middle-Income context and the overall transition of ODA assistance that is underway, the UN will adjust its assistance to the new environment. UNDP in its new Country Programme will see a gradual transition of its programme portfolio to the new forms of partnerships and new programming processes. Programme governance, management and administration will therefore require a high degree of flexibility and agility, with a focus on contribution to offering high quality policy advisory and project implementation services.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities
Supports formulation of programme/project and resource mobilization, focusing on achievement of results through:
- Support POs/experts to collection, analysis and presentation of background information for preparation of CCA, UN One Strategic Plan, CPD, or equivalent, effective application of RBM tools and establishment of management targets (BSC);
- Contribution to (i) the planning and project formulation process, (ii) preparation of project document and (iii) appraisal processes, ensuring effective liaison with partners in this regard;
- Supports to effective procurement and recruitment and contract management process for project idea/proposal development;
- Support to financial management of the grants/facilities for the formulation of project ideas and proposals;
- Entering approved project proposal into ATLAS for project award generation; creation of projects including project activities and budgets in ATLAS, revision of project award and project status when required and delegated.
- Tracking and reporting on mobilized resources. Review of contributions agreement, managing contributions in ATLAS.
- Assist liaison and partnership activities with funding partners.
Provide effective support to management of the CO programme and projects focusing on the achievement of the results through:
Support to Overall Project Management and Implementation:
- Tracking and controlling program/project expenditures/disbursement rate against commitments to ensure the conformity with approved AWPs and Budget, determining gaps between budgets and expenditures, committed and actual allocated funds to advise POs for taking actions; supporting operation and financial closure of a project in ATLAS.
- May serve as Project Manager per ICF for one or more activities
- Supports to effective Procurement and Recruitment and contract management process a d appropriate
- Support POs in periodic review of project work-plans and advise POs/IPs (Implementing partners) on the progress and work-plan’s conformity to agreed results and outputs for finalization.
- Quarterly reviews of NIM Project Advance and Financial Reports (FACE) forms with the approved AWP/QWPs and corresponding Activities and Expenditure accounts.
- Supporting the organization of overseas study tours and monitoring visits, including DSA entitlement calculation and transportation.
- Taking timely corrective actions and unposted vouchers, including vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions and unapproved vouchers.
- Supporting timely operational and financial closure of project, determination of unutilized funds and processing operational/financial closure of projects in ATLAS;
- Support the direct implementation of CO projects, including recruitment of international and national consultants, organizing technical workshops, training activities, consultations, travel arrangements and procurement of goods and services.
- Provision of guidance on policies and procedures to IPs:
- Updating POs and IPs on changes in financial policies, rules and procedures.
- Providing advises, guidance and on-the-spot couching to NIM project personnel on applicable policies and procedures (HPPMG, HACT, Cost Norms)
- Quality assurance (HACT, M&E):
- Supporting POs and IPs in day-to-day monitoring and implementation of project activities to ensure the project progress achievement of results and outputs as planned.
- Providing inputs to the auditing of NIM projects, supporting POs and IPs in follows-up on timely implementation of audit recommendation;
- Supporting assessments of technical and financial management capacity (micro assessment) on IPs;
- Supporting spot-checks on IPs, supporting the coordination of NIM audits and ensuring effective client liaison
- Supporting project mid-term reviews and final evaluation including recruitment or consultants, arrangement of working missions/interviews, collecting information and relevant documents, liaising with concerned parties.
Provides administrative support to the Programme Unit focusing on achievement of the following results through:
- Support Unit Head in planning and managing the direct project costing (DPC) and tracking incomes and expenditure relating to staff costs of CCEU;
- Act as Unit Head’s focal point in managing some specific activity/initiaty ad assigned by the Head of Cluster
- Liaise with other Partners as instructed by the Head of Cluster
- Organize and facilitate events and activities by Cluster. Draft reports for these management activities and monitor the agreed follow-up actions;
- Analyze and monitor overall program financial situation in consultation with Unit Head, POs and project staff. Report on program/project financial expenditures and alert Unit Head and POs on shortfalls and over-expenditures;
- Liaise closely with Finance Unit and Programme Support Unit for tracking overall expenditures in relation to commitments and report on delivery status to Unit Head;
- Co-ordinate all mandatory and rephasing exercises. Initiate budget revisions, in line with available resources. Make necessary adjustments at the requests of project authorities;
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that voucher processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in ATLAS;
- Timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions and unapproved vouchers;
- Creation of requisitions in ATLAS for development projects, register of goods receipt in ATLAS;
- Making budget check for requisitions, POs and vouchers;
- Support to timely monitoring and actions towards satisfactory scorecard performance for the office;
- Coordinating calendar planning for Unit Heads and POs;
- Maintaining, physically verifying and certifying assets and inventory.
- Supporting the implementation and monitoring of Cost Sharing agreements, including performing required CS-related work in ATLAS as required and delegated.
Knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO through:
- Supporting organization of trainings for the operations/projects staff in the programe issues.
- Supporting documentation and dissemination of lessons lesson learnt and best practices in prgramme.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities practice.
- May serve as the focal point for administrative, operation or substantive matters within the unit or for the office as a whole.
- Innovation: Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Leadership: Ability to persuade others to follow
- People Management: Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Communication: Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Delivery: Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
- Project Management: Ability to plan, organize and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals.
- Data Analysis: Ability to evaluate, transform and model data to derive relevant findings – undertake & provide analysis of data to assess Org performance and or global trends
- Quality Assurance: Ability to perform administrative and procedural activities to ensure that quality requirements and goals are fulfilled
- Office Administration: Ability to manage day-to-day office activities (including but not limited to travel management, facilities and asset management, policy and procedures maintenance) to meet operational needs
- Report Writing: Ability to prepare quality reports
- Knowledge Management: Ability to efficient handle and share information and knowledge
- Partnerships: Ability to engage with agencies, donors, and other development stakeholders and forge productive working relationship
- Team Building: Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of professionals towards common goals
Required Skills and Experience
Education: Secondary Education, preferably with specialized certification in Accounting and Finance. University Degree in Business or Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences and Social Sciences would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
Experience: 6 years of progressively responsible administrative or programme experience is required at the national or international level.
Language Requirements: Fluency in English and Vietnamese languages.
Other: Experience in the usage of computers to office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.