United Nations Population Fund, Johannesburg, South Africa
Closing Date for Applications:
The Programme Associate contributes to the development and implementation of effective regional and country programmes in the region by providing support in the design, planning and management of UNFPA’s programmes in the following functions:
- Performance Oversight
- Research Support
- Financial Management
- Operations and Procedural Guidance and support
- Administrative support
The incumbent responds to non-routine queries and provides explanations on matters which may be complex requiring thorough knowledge of policies and procedures of the work area.
You will be required to undertake the following:
- Contribute to oversight functions of the RO by maintaining schedules of programme and management audits of the region and assisting in the monitoring and follow up of related audit recommendations;
- Manages operational requirements of programme/ project inputs and oversight under national execution (NEX) in terms of personnel, sub-contracts, equipment, fellowships, and other programme and project-related events to facilitate programme/ project delivery;
- Manage the relationship with the implementing partners;
- Establish programme planning information and schedules regional programme cycles in the region, and including CCA/UNDAF;
- Contribute to ensuring compliance of programmes/projects with organizational guidelines, as well as with audits and evaluation findings, by benchmarking programme and project performance and transmitting this information to the Programme Advisers/Specialists for corrective action; and
- Coordinate submission of reports, both substantive and financial, on EKI unit and regional programme development, monitoring and evaluation in the region;
- Support the design and manage specialized data banks on (i) Programme/projects profiles, for development, implementation and evaluation purposes and (ii) best practices in programme design/implementation for knowledge sharing; and
- Consolidate and maintain the inventory of pipeline projects for submission to donors for co- financing.
- Review and analyze past and current expenditures including trends in pattern of resource allocation in order to prepare recommendations and proposals for distribution of income and utilization of resources provided to the countries and to regional programme in the region;
- Coordinate submission of financial reports on country and regional co-financing, including the review and finalization of inputs for financial reports for donors; and
- Monitor the overall expenditure targets among countries and regional programme within the region in accordance with UNFPA’s global resource allocation system and annual guidelines.
Operation and Procedural Guidance
- Provide guidance to Regional, and country staff on programme operational procedures;
- Works in close cooperation with International Operations Manager to ensure adequate support to the unit and COs on operational matters and
- Represent the RO in meetings and advice working groups related to programme and financial procedures changes.
- Prepares and monitors the administrative budget and ensures financial transactions are in accordance with UNFPA financial rules and procedures. Proposes procedures to improve internal controls and efficiency and respond to audit issues;
- Facilitate programme and technical missions
- Perform any other functions as may be assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- Completion of secondary school is required. A degree in Public Administration, Social Sciences, Finance, Economics or another relevant subject is desirable.
Knowledge and Experience:
- 7 years of relevant experience in the management of data support systems, development management or financial management in the private or public sector;
- Ability to use analytical tools and logic to gather and define information on development situations, problems, and draw logical conclusions guided by data;
- Capacity to facilitate and make timely and appropriate decisions, taking into consideration, prevailing issues and evidence;
- Proficiency in current office software applications and corporate IT systems.
- Possess strong organizational skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment and within multiple diversity contexts
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Fluency in English demonstrated by strong proficiencies in written and verbal English.
- Working knowledge of French and/or Portuguese, will be an asset.