UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nation’s system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
The UN Women Egypt Country Office is based in Cairo, and works in the following priority areas:
- Leadership and Political Participation;
- Economic Empowerment;
- Ending Violence Against Women;
The Ending Violence Against Women portfolio encompasses two main projects; the ‘Safe Cities for Women and Girls’ programme and the ‘Ending Violence Against Women: Survivor Centered Approach’ programme. Implemented in close collaboration with governmental and non-governmental organizations in Egypt, the former programme aims to ensure that women and girls are socially, economically and politically empowered in public spaces which are free from sexual harassment and other forms of violence against women. The latter programme aims to eliminate violence against women through the development of gender-sensitive policies and legal frameworks and capacity enhancement of service providers to ensure that they follow quality standards and protocols. Additionally, capacity development was provided to local NGOs on case management steps to address the immediate needs of women related to incidents of violence.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Gender Specialist, the Programme Associate is responsible for providing administrative, finance and programmatic support for effective implementation of project activities contributing to the outcomes of the programme.
Provide programmatic support to the EVAW portfolio:
- Pro-actively contribute to day-to-day project implementation and ensure conformity to expected results and project work plans;
- Provide guidance to implementing partners to ensure full compliance with operational UN Women rules and regulations in terms of procurement, human resources, and finance;
- Collect and present background information for the preparation of project progress reports, project briefs, power-point presentations, and other knowledge products;
- Provide programme and administrative support for the preparation of programme work plans, budgets, and proposals on programme implementation arrangements;
- Identify sources and gather and compile data and information for the preparation of documents, guidelines, speeches and position papers;
- Participate in field visits and report on progress and challenges.
Administrative and Financial Management Support to the EVAW portfolio:
- Provide administrative support related to budget preparation and the finances of projects; including the finalization of FACE forms;
- Ensure maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed; transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas;
- Take timely corrective actions on un-posted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers;
- Create requisitions in Atlas;
- Process payment for consultants;
- Prepare supporting documents for creation of PO and non-PO vouchers for the project;
- Maintain proper follow up of advances to implementing partners, review their financial reports together with programme analysts;
- Prepare contracts.
Provide administrative support to the programme team and activities:
- Provide administrative support in the implementation of activities according to the project work plan;
- Prepare agendas and arrange field visits, appointments and meetings both internal and external related to project activities and write minutes from the meetings;
- Manage logistics related to staff travel, such as travel authorizations and travel claims, and help with organizing events, including logistics and travel of partners and stakeholders;
- Maintain an effective project filing system.
- Perform any other duties in line with the above responsibilities as may be assigned by the Gender Specialist.
Impact of Results: The key results have an impact on the programme, implementing, monitoring and reporting and adherence to UN Women rules and regulations.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Timely and accurate support to events, workshops, and missions;
- Full compliance of administrative activities with UN Women rules, regulations, policies and procedures;
- Timely recording of overall programme unit finances;
- Timely and accurate tracking of data for CO management and donor purposes;
- Quality maintenance of internal systems;
- Positive and effective relationship with partners and stakeholders.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Ability to perform a broad range of specialized activities aimed at effective and efficient functioning of the Programme including logistical support;
- Ability to administer and execute financial and administrative processes and transactions;
- Proven track record of procurement related work (preparation of all documentation for hiring short-term consultants, contract with companies/think-thank/research organizations)
- Experience with organization of workshops, conferences and carry out of all logistics.
- Ability to perform work and handle a large volume of work possible under time constraints;
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities;
- Ability to establish, build and sustain effective relationships with clients, demonstrating understanding of client's perspective; anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly;
- Creates, edits and presents information in clear and presentable formats, using appropriate IT functionality;
- Ability to manage data, documents, correspondence and reports information and workflow;
- Ability to support a team and team building skills;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skill;
- Fully proficient computer skills and use of relevant software and other applications, e.g. word processing, spreadsheets, internet, etc.;
- Mature judgment combined with a proactive, resourceful and energetic approach to problem solving;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- Strong analytical skills and team building skills;
- Ability to handle conflict and sensitive issues in a responsible and mature manner; and
- Capacity to work under pressure and to meet strict deadlines.
Required Skills and Experience
Education: Bachelor’s degree in economics, international relations, gender studies, management, political sciences, or related relevant fields.
- At least 6 years of working experience in programming, administration and finance in development;
- Proven experience or understanding of issues of gender equality and the empowerment of women is an asset;
- Experience in supporting complex projects/processes that include extensive communication, coordination and facilitation;
- Proven track record and experience in reporting and communicating results, and developing programme and project planning documents;
- Experience and advance knowledge in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and database packages;
- Prior work experience with UN or other international organization will be considered as an asset.
Language Requirenments: Fluency (written and spoken) in English and Arabic required.