Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Team Leader (Resilience and Sustainable Development Team), the Programme Associate provides leadership in execution of services. This includes support for the design, planning and management of the country programme by managing data and facilitating programme implementation. The Programme Associate promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Programme Associate will be responsible for supporting the implementation of the Republic of Marshall Islands (RMI) Ridge to Reef Project. He /She will manage working level partnership with donors, NGOs and host government, within the overall agreed framework of the unit work plan. The Programme Associate works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and project teams in the CO and UNDP HQs staff for resolving complex programme-related issues and information delivery. The Program Associate will be based at the UNDP Pacific Office and will be expect to travel as part of work responsibilities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensures administration and implementation of programme strategies, adapts processes and procedures focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensure compliance of projects.
- Presentation of information/ reports for identification of areas of the Project for support and interventions.
- Implementation of the RMI R2R Project partnerships and resources mobilization strategies, preparation of reports.
Provides effective support to management of the Pacific Office focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Presentation of thoroughly researched information for formulation of country programme, preparation of project documents’ drafts, work plans, budgets, proposals on implementation arrangements.
- Initiation of a project, entering project into Atlas taking into consideration variable atlas requirements (e.g. for GEF projects), and preparation of required budget revisions.
- Provision of guidance to the Project Implementation Unit and Implementing Partner on routine implementation of projects, tracking use of financial resources.
- Follow up on performance indicators/ success criteria, targets and milestones, preparation of reports.
- Analysis of the situation in programme, identification of operational and financial problems, development of solutions.
Provides administrative support focusing on achievement of the following results, especially as they relate to the R2R Project :
- Undertake ATLAS functions as required by ATLAS profile and office policies;
- Work closely with the Programme Support Unit/Finance person in administrative and financial requirements of projects, including audits.
- Undertake project budget revisions and Annual Work Plans in ATLAS at strategic points during a project lifecycle
- Advice project on procurement procedures and options and that project requirements in these areas are closely monitored in liaison with relevant Pacific Office units.
Provides support in creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy focusing on achievement of the following results relating to R2R Project:
- Analysis of information on donors, preparation of donor’s profile and contacts.
- Support development of partnerships’ database as determined by CO, and their maintenance
- Track and report on mobilized resources including core and non-core resources for units planning purposes.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the Pacific Office focusing on achievement of the following results relating to the R2R Project:
- Identification of training needs and organization of trainings for the operations/projects staff on programme and finance management in close liaison with relevant CO units;
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in programme.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
Education: University Degree in Environment Studies, Development Studies, Geography or a related field is a requirement
- 7 years of progressively responsible for project management, administrative or programme experience is required at the national or international level.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
Language Requirements: Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.