About the organization:
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
Currently, WFP India has Partnership Agreement with the Department of Food and Public Distribution (DFPD) at the national level and with the state governments of Odisha and Uttar Pradesh. Through its Country Strategic Plan (2019-2023) WFP aims to support India in achieving the targets of Sustainable Development Goals 2 and 17 through work in 3 Strategic Outcomes. The focus of Strategic Outcome 1 is to enhance the efficiency, targeting service delivery and supply chain of government programmes for improving access to food and sharing of best practices.
The Programme Associate (TPDS) will be responsible for providing technical support related to supply chain, transportation, warehouse management and related functions so as to enable the Department of Food and Civil Supplies in Lucknow to establish and maintain an efficient supply chain management system and implement the doorstep delivery of food grains in the most cost-effective way.
Job Responsibilities and Accountabilities (not all-inclusive):
Under the direct supervision of the Programme Policy Officer (TPDS) based in Lucknow and the overall supervision of Head Supply Chain and PDS Unit, the staff will work in close coordination with the Secretary/Commissioner of Food, Civil Supplies (FCS) Department, Government of Uttar Pradesh, the Programme Associate (TPDS) will perform the following duties:
Support the department on implementation TPDS and procurement supply chain aspects. This includes but is not limited to:
- Undertaking assessment of procurement systems, processes, warehouse management and provide recommendation and support department for adapting recommended changes.
- Support in strengthening of existing GPS vehicle tracking monitoring system through consistent monitoring of operations, providing recommendations and technical assistance to implement the recommendations.
- Support in strengthening of existing Grievances Redressal System by recommending best practices.
- Undertake data analysis of supply chain operations of TPDS and Marketing division on half yearly basis to support government officers to take informed decision.
- Support in implementing doorstep delivery of food grains from central warehouses up to the Fair Price Shops including assessment of Transportation and commission rates.
In close collaboration of the Department officials, support them in routine activities:
- Prepare materials for and coordinate meeting with State Food Secretaries, DFPD (GoI) and other high-level state relationships on a regular basis.
- Provide background to resolve any potential issues emerging during the project implementation including vendor related issues.
- Prepare of tender documents and procurement through GEM portal
- Monitor and report allocation and lifting of food grains and support processing of payments for procurements through PFMS platform
Undertake any other related activities as requested by the department or WFP CO.
Required Skills, Experience & Qualification:
- Completion of Secondary school education, and certificate course or higher university degree in one of the following: Transport Economics, Supply Chain, Logistics, Engineering, Business Management or other related field
- Minimum five years of progressively responsible professional experience working in the related areas of supply chain management and optimization, marketing analysis, contracting and operational execution, warehouse and inventory management, procurement, information management and reporting, e-governance, implementation of computer/IT systems, project planning, coordinating and implementing large scale technology/e-governance solutions with government or a development agency.
- Experience in working independently with minimum supervision, often in fluid and ambiguous situations will be required.
- Fluent oral and written communication skills in English. Working knowledge of Hindi is essential.
COMPETENCIES & SKILLS:
The post holder should;
- have strong technical, analytical and problems solving skills;
- ability to think through complex issues to conceptualize, design and execute actions plans.
- demonstrate passion and motivation with the ability to manage complexities, multiple tasks with commitment to deliver against multiple, tight deadlines at work
- be an excellent team player with an ability to work collaboratively, share information and build strong working relationships with colleagues and stakeholders from diverse backgrounds while focusing on impact and results.
- have excellent oral and written communication skills, presentation and documentation skills with a focus on effective procedural documentation.
- exhibit the maturity and presence required to effectively participate and contribute in meetings with senior government officials.
- Knowledge of the Indian Government bureaucracy and TPDS operations required. Sound Knowledge of project planning and management, preferably in the IT transformation or e-governance space.