IOM is a major actor in post-conflict recovery and reconstruction, and as such is heavily involved in livelihood development and job creation programmes. IOM’s strengths lie in its field presence around the country and operational capacity to rebuild community infrastructure, conduct vocational and other trainings, provide grant funding at local levels to support business development, and a variety of other areas key to recovery. Crucially, lack of economic opportunity—even more than ideology—is cited as a major push factor leading to recruitment of youth by violent extremist groups.
In order to support the reconstruction process and maximise the impact of project activities, IOM is seeking a livelihoods specialist with substantial private sector development or development finance experience, in order to support IOM Iraq’s ongoing activities related to livelihoods, job
creation and private sector development (PSD). This includes but is not limited to technical support to the implementation of IOM Iraq livelihoods activities, especially individual livelihoods assistance and Enterprise Development Fund (EDF).
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission for IOM in Iraq and the direct supervision of the Head, Returns and Recovery Unit, the successful candidate will lead on the management, development and implementation of livelihoods, job creation and private sector development activities, with a specific focus on the development and implementation of methodologies related to small and medium enterprises (SME) finance, capacity building of staff and leadership of research on PSD and livelihoods.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- In coordination with IOM Iraq and colleagues at Regional Office in Cairo and HQ as required, manage, develop and support the implementation of IOM Iraq livelihoods, job creation and private sector development (PSD) activities.
- Review, assess and advise on existing livelihood, job creation and private sector development (PSD) methodologies, including selection criteria, caseload distribution, process mapping, and standard operating procedures, and develop and support the creation of new tools.
- In coordination with the Return and Recovery Unit (RRU ) and other relevant units, lead the development of assessment and research activities and tools, including through the design and development of methodologies, training of field teams, oversight of data collection, data analysis, literature review, and preparing and editing of reports and related activities.
- Prepare policy and technical advice on innovations and tools related to technological solutions including digital data collection, payments, due diligence frameworks, and knowledge management products.
- Work closely with field teams, government authorities, United Nations/ Non-governmental Organizations (UN/NGO) partners and private sector actors to identify and pursue opportunities for additional private sector support and employment creation, including frequent visits to field locations.
- Undertake capacity development of IOM Iraq colleagues regarding private sector development, such as labour market assessments, feasibility studies, external evaluations and business plan development and review.
- Develop project proposals and documents.
- Develop training materials and implement capacity building within IOM Iraq on livelihoods, job creation and PSD.
- Support IOM in external representation with UN and NGO partners, donors and government, and contribute to inter-agency processes requiring IOM input and coordination.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Economics, Business Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Knowledge of private sector work including finance and value chain;
- Familiarity with and/or experience in post-conflict environments is an asset;
- Demonstrated understanding of business models, market development and business sustainability issues to engage private sector companies in livelihood creation projects;
- Familiarity with and/or experience in Iraq or the Middle East an advantage;
- Familiarity with UN/IOM or development finance institutions an advantage.
- IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
- For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Arabic, French, and/or Spanish is an advantage.
- Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.