IOM, Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina
Closing Date for Applications:
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM), and in close coordination with all relevant Units of the Country Office (CO) and the Regional Office (RO) in Vienna, the successful candidate will be responsible for the management of the European Union (EU)-funded regional project “Addressing COVID-19 Challenges within the Migrant and Refugee Response in the Western Balkans” , in line with IOM policies and procedures and donor requirements, and for providing oversight and guidance to the CO’s migration management portfolio.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Manage and coordinate the implementation of the regional project, in line with project documents, donor requirements and IOM policies and procedures, including PRIMA (Project Information and Management Application), and in coordination with IOM COs and offices in the sub-region.
- Establish and maintain effective work relations with the donor, partner organizations, government partners, the media and relevant IOM ROs in Brussels and Vienna.
- Monitor and assess the developments of migration flows and the COVID-19 pandemic in the Western Balkans, identify and report any change in priorities, significant events, decisions, problems or risks requiring project adjustments to the relevant Heads of Offices (HoO)/CoMs and the donor.
- Monitor and evaluate spending and implementation progress (results and activities) against project budget and workplan and manage any needed revision in accordance with IOM policies and procedures.
- Lead monitoring, reporting and evaluation activities: ensure the collection and consolidation of inputs from participating IOM COs and partners; prepare high quality donor reports; coordinate and undertake monitoring and evaluation visits, in accordance with IOM policies and procedures.
- Manage and ensure visibility activities are carried out in respect of the donor visibility rules and requirements.
- Advise and guide Project Managers in all operational aspects of project development, review and endorsement, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting, according to IOM Project Handbook as well as other relevant IOM policies and procedures, including PRIMA.
- Ensure effective and efficient information and knowledge-sharing as well as appropriate coordination between the different migration management projects implemented by the CO.
- Oversee and ensure effective planning within projects and CO-wide in all migration management areas of work, including the regular organisation of meetings with Project Managers and, as required, the relevant financial and administrative units, as well as the Project Development and Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Unit.
- Assist the CoM and the Resource Management Officer (RMO) in developing and where necessary improving CO administrative and financial accountability and reporting systems to ensure that CO’s policies and procedures are met.
- Manage and coordinate the effective implementation of the CO’s migration management programming at the highest level of quality and standards, adhering to IOM and donor guidelines and requirements, and facilitating enhanced service and project delivery.
- Foster the generation of new programming ideas based on the in-country, regional and global needs and context, the IOM Mandate, the CO expertise, and donor opportunities, and collaborate with the Project Managers and the Project Development and M&E Unit in ensuring the development of concept notes and project proposals in this regard.
- Support the CoM with the establishment and/or strengthening of institutional relationships with donors, embassies, United Nations (UN) agencies, other international organizations, Non-Governmental Organizations (NGO) and key governmental (executive and legislative) institutions and entities to contribute to raising IOM’s standing and bolstering its position in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Inform the CoM on policy issues relevant to the agency of the IOM CO in Bosnia and Herzegovina and provide inputs for policy discussions internally and with pertinent external interlocutors and stakeholders on issues germane to IOM.
- Promote IOM priorities and current and future programming in-country and with a wider scope as necessary, first and foremost with government and donor interlocutors.
- In collaboration with RMO, and by using IOM corporate tools such as PRIMA and PRISM, monitor performance versus budget to ensure against budget overruns.
- Participate in high level meetings and represent IOM in working groups, seminars, conferences and other events and meetings in the IOM programmatic context.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Humanities, International Relations, Law, Economics or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Progressive professional experience in governmental institutions and/or international organizations preferably in the region;
- Proven experience in successfully managing projects and providing programme support
- (project development, communications, etc.) highly desirable;
- Experience in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as with international institutions;
- Supervisory experience is mandatory.
- Thorough knowledge of the IOM project management cycle, programme support modalities and administrative systems and rules is an asset;
- Excellent knowledge of migration policy and actors in the region.
- Knowledge of UN and bilateral donor programming.
- Familiarity and demonstrated experience with budgeting and financial oversight.
- Knowledge of IOM rules and procedures is an advantage.
- Computer/software literate with advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
- For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Spanish and/or French is an advantage.
- Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.