VSO is the world’s leading international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty. Working in 24 countries around the world, our unique role in international development is to place committed volunteers with carefully selected organisations where their skills can have the greatest impact. Our extraordinary volunteers live and work in some of the world’s poorest communities. Sharing their unique skills and experience to generate new ideas and new ways of doing things, helping the communities they work in lift themselves out of poverty. We’re not about delivering quick fixes, but instead we focus on long-lasting, sustainable change, that will impact generations to come. Join us and help us work towards our vision of a world without poverty.
Programme Development support
- With the guidance from Sr. Programme Manager and CD Identify funding opportunities in areas of responsibility and provide support in the development of concepts and proposals.
- During the process ensure that programme development is informed by consultation with partners, volunteers, internal stakeholders and beneficiaries (they are held as integral to program design, implementation and review
- Work with Senior Programme Manager and programme team members for development and updating of VSO signature programmes (strategic documents) and associated documentations
- Draft MOUs/ teaming agreements programme-level briefs, and necessary documents required for development of partnerships for strengthening business pursuit.
- Provide support in organizing proposal development and other programme development/learning workshops; take notes, document learning, develop reports and concepts.
- Support the SPM and FM during costing of activities during budget development process during proposal development.
Programme Management and Impact
- Programme Implementation: Coordinate and oversee the quality of Programme implementation and assure that monthly, quarterly and annual targets for delivery and quality result indicator are timely met through coordination, liaising, review and monitoring of activities/events and implementation plan.
- Prepare and execute the project implementation plan and activities, communicate to Sr. Manager where adjustments are required
- Partnership Development and Management: Assess, negotiate, maintain and review relevant partnerships. Build and support networks between key stakeholders to strengthen programme impact.
- Reporting and Documentation: Produce high quality project progress reports, activity reports & cases studies for showcasing VSO programmes impact and positioning for future.
- Support the management of project/programme Budgets :in line with donor stipulations and VSO good practice
- Guidance to Partners and volunteers: Provide on-going technical input, guidance, knowledge, supervision and other necessary support to partner project staff and volunteers for maximizing the impact of VSO programme/project intervention
- Integrating VSO core approaches of social inclusion, social accountability and resilience in programme development and implementation
Skills, qualifications and experience
- Masters in social sciences or related discipline.
- 5-7 years’ professional experience of working with NGO/ INGOs or donor agency on programme development and implementation
- Experience working with in field of resilience. (Peace-building, DRR & Social Cohesion)
- Knowledge of and awareness of key issues related to resilience at community level to policy level.
- Proven experience of generating project concepts and report writing and resource mobilization.
- Experience of managing donor projects with good understanding of donor guidelines.
- Experience of carrying out desk research to gather evidence for project ideas to form the contextual background for proposed interventions;
- Strong spoken English and writing skills and the ability to articulate complex ideas in a simple format;
- Experience of budget development
- Excellent time management skills and ability to manage the work streams in parallel
- Able to travel and work long hours, including work away from the home base for up to 30% of time, some weekend and evening work.
- Practical experience gained within a volunteering/NGO context and of managing a volunteer program.
- Experience and knowledge of the country and region.
- Confidence and experience in external representation.
Competencies and Behaviour
At VSO we believe progress is only possible by working together. Whether you want to join us as an employee, or as a volunteer working in your own country, overseas or online, our selection process includes an assessment based on these core competencies:
- Ability to be open minded and respectful
- Ability to be resilient and adaptive to new situations
- Ability to facilitate positive change and build sustainable working relationships
- Ability to seek and share knowledge