Programme Development Specialist
Oxfam Novib, Somalia
Closing Date for Applications:
Oxfam is convinced that people have the power to end poverty. All they need is an opportunity. Oxfam is committed to make sure everyone gets that chance. That is why we support local projects in developing countries, why we lobby governments and companies to listen to the poorest people, and why we campaign to involve both men and women in our work. Oxfam is a confederation of 17 organizations that works together to increase the impact of its long term development and humanitarian responses.
The purpose of the job is to enable the development of programme and project proposals that reflect Oxfam Somalia’s priorities and its particular value added, that will increase the capacity to attract funding from traditional and non-traditional donors and maximize Oxfam’s impact on men and women facing poverty and injustice.
We are seeking an outstanding programme development professional who has the ability to bring together Oxfam staff, partner organisations and other key stakeholders in the development high quality and innovative proposals in accordance with Oxfam’s Country Strategy in Somalia.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Is responsible for the development of high quality and innovative programmes and projects in close coordination with Oxfam’s partners and allies in Somalia / Somaliland
- Supports Oxfam’s impact locally, regionally, continentally and globally through ensuring program development in alignment to the key strategic objectives and program standards of Oxfam Somalia
- Ensures that the promotion of women’s rights is at the heart of all Oxfam in Somalia’s program work
- Supports the development of program and project improvement plans, to ensure effective and timely implementation of the projects and program
- Ensure programme and project quality by organizing drawing lessons for programme implementation, organize knowledge management and programme learning, fostering exchange and introducing innovation.
- Builds strong synergy between development and humanitarian programming ensuring that resilient thinking, humanitarian planning and as necessary response meet Oxfam standards.
- Leads and coordinates engagement and co-creation with key external stakeholders, like partners, government entities, knowledge institutes that can help to increase the quality and impact of programmes.
- Writes and develops project plans, including the deployment of people, systems and resources.
- Helps to identify potential donors, investors and assesses potential partnerships for projects
- Produces communications materials that help to increase Oxfam Somalia’s visibility and track record to a broad range of external stakeholders.
- To provide strategic and technical leadership in the design, development, planning budgeting, and implementation and monitoring of the OCS
- Technical Skills, Experience & Knowledge Skills
- Strong analytical and conceptual thinking skills; able to understand complex issues and translate them into simple, workable projects and plans
- Capacity to facilitate discussions amongst different stakeholders and organize design workshops that lead to high quality projects proposals as well as harvesting of lessons learned from previous programmes.
- Ability to support development of strong, credible relationships with international and local NGOs, government associations, business leaders and communities
- Excellent inter personal communication skills, in written and verbal English, with high impact influencing and persuasive skills. Able to use different approaches to achieve ownership and enthusiasm amongst project partners.
- Ability to adjust to constantly changing situations while maintaining focus on delivery and follow-through
- Ability to cultivate knowledge based relations with different stakeholders going beyond grant based relations (strategic partnerships)
- Ability to think strategically, work creatively, effectively and in an innovative manner
- Commitment to Oxfam’s overall aims and policies and experience of promoting women’s rights and those of marginalised people in all aspects of Oxfam’s work in Somalia.
Knowledge and experience:
- Proven background and more than 5 years of experience in programme / project development in the in the field of humanitarian responses, development programmes and lobby and advocacy.
- Familiar with methods and tools for programme development (power analysis, logframe, theory of change, etc)
- Good understanding of standards for programme quality in the NGO sector and capacity to apply these in project design.
- Experience in mainstreaming gender and female leadership in project design.
- Knowledge of capacity building, learning and development activities and how to create a learning and sharing environment with a strong knowledge management basis
- Politically astute, with a good understanding of key external organisations, how they operate and make decisions, and the country development context
- Commitment to and knowledge of creating a partner-led operational environment, with an ability to create an internal Oxfam approach that is focussed on developing and supporting partner organisations to achieve direct impact and results relating to Oxfam’s objectives