ACCOUNTABILITIES AND MAIN WORK ACTIVITIES
- Provide overall strategic oversight in the delivery of the Country Strategy through leadership on technical design and management of programme that are gender transformative.
- Lead the overall development and evolution of the Country programme within the overarching Country Strategy and their subsequent operationalisation.
- Model our value-based leadership framework underpinned by our feminist leadership principles.
- In all phases of the project cycle, lead in identification of key advocacy issues in the Country Programme with the engagement of programme team and CLT to support influencing team in design and implementation of relevant strategies to ensure evidence-based influencing.
- Ensure that monitoring, evaluation, research and learning plan supports the CS delivery across development and humanitarian nexus.
- Oversee development, review and submission of annual plans and quarterly reporting.
- Oversee the strategic engagement in Programme Areas and support the representational and operational remits of the Programme Area Managers.
- Build and oversee managerial accountability with particular attention to overall development programme design, planning, programme delivery, monitoring, evaluations and research at the programme areas.
- Foster humanitarian, development nexus in collaboration with the Humanitarian Director
Working in Partnerships:
Plan International Ethiopia engages in strategic partnerships with government, civil society, private sector, academia, youth association, and non-governmental agencies, at all levels so as to work together to ensure gender Justice for girls
- Provide overall strategic oversight in the identification and engagement of partners in a mutually respectful manner, while ensuring Plan’s International partnership principles and compliance.
- Establish/strengthen networks and partnerships with likeminded organisations for overall enhancement of the programmes and profiling of the organisation.
- Lead in engaging key networks, movements and alliances relevant to the girls’ empowerment and gender equality.
- Provide strategic roadmap for the development and implementation of partnerships management standards and guidelines.
Advocacy and Influencing
- Contribute for development and implementation of effective and evidence based advocacy strategies that enable girls to Learn, Lead, Decide and Thrive.
- Create/adapt initiatives that effectively influence duty bearers, key stakeholders and decision makers to promote and ensure rights of girls.
- Support for the development of high quality publications, media messaging and all internal/external communications that support Plan’s advocacy and influencing work.
Quality Programme Design & Delivery
- Ensure the quality of programme is in line with plan international global quality standards, sustainable development goal and government sectoral plan.
- Coordinate with the relevant departments at all levels during programme design, implementation and monitoring.
- Ensure quality and effective delivery of all grants and sponsorship funded projects. Making sure that industry best practices on project management are put into action.
- Ensure relevant policies in particular gender equality, child & youth safeguarding is embedded within programme cycle.
- Enhance the capacity of team members and partners on programme management.
- Ensure the development and implementation of Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning (MEAL) framework at all level.
- Seek and promote innovative ideas, approach to ensure programme quality.
Capability Building and People Management:
- Provide overall vision and direction to the CO as well as field-based programmes teams.
- Support staff to understand and comply with the organizational vision, mission, strategic direction and other organization policies.
- Ensure that the programmes team are operating as high-performance teams and have clear accountability lines (direct and matrix)
- Socialize and nurture Plan Values and Behaviours.
- Create an enabling working environment across different department unites to foster excellent teamwork and high performing staff.
- Oversee the delivery of effective capacity building support in key areas of programme management, finance management, logistics management and human resources management
- Establish, communicate and monitor standards of performance and behaviours of the team through development of Individual Accountability Plans (IAP), and key performance indicators (KPI’s) that are agreed annually, and monitored and updated regularly.
- Oversees the coordination in the budget, preparation, consolidation, analysis and timely submission
- Ensure the timely implementation of grants and budgets. The creation of POs, updating of implementation status and closing of grants in SAP and PMERL is done expeditiously.
- Ensure that all grants have opening/launch and closeout workshops/meetings.
- Ensure that all project expenditures are on time and according to the budget (within permissible variance limits) and to oversee and guide any budget reforecasting and reallocation exercises that are required
- Coordinate and support programme quality and delivery on programme audit, child protection audit, and gender strategy review exercise and adequate application of management response across all impact areas.
- Within the scope of the role, there will be additional assignments as needed.
Safeguarding Children and Young People (Safeguarding) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI)
- Understands and puts into practice the responsibilities under Safeguarding and GEI policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), ensuring that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
- Ensures that Programme staff are properly inducted on and understands their role in upholding Plan International’s safeguarding and GEI policies;
- Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in project design, during implementation and as principles applied in day-to-day work of Programme team;
- Ensures that Plan Ethiopia contributes to Plan International’s global efforts to ensure safeguarding and GEI, including making sure that relevant reporting and data are submitted.
- Courageous, taking a lead, challenging myself and others to achieve purpose, safeguard others and role model values, inside and outside work. Responsible for my work and learning, striving to improve. Self-aware, resilient and constructive in embracing change. Striving to achieve significant and lasting impact on the lives of children and young people, and to secure equality for girls. Challenging myself to be bold, courageous, responsive, focused and innovative.
- Creating a climate of trust inside and outside the organisation by being open, honest and transparent. Holding myself and others to account for decisions and impact on others. Doing what I say I will do. Working effectively with others, inside and outside the organisation, including sponsors and donors. Actively supporting colleagues, helping them to achieve their goals. Coming together with others to create and implement solutions in teams, across Plan International, with children, girls, young people, communities and our partners.
- Respecting all people, appreciating differences and challenging inequality in programmes and the workplace. Supporting children, girls and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives. Empowering other staff to give their best and develop their potential.
- Understanding Plan International’s purpose, priorities, values and approaches in our work context. Adhering to relevant policies, processes, practices and standards, and being pro-active in continuing technical and professional development
BUSINESS MANAGEMENT COMPETENCIES
- Understands relevant sectoral context including how the sector operates in terms of funding and governance and awareness of Plan's purpose, values, and global strategy
- Manages legal and reputational risk including risk assessment, communication, risk management and reporting in full compliance with risk-related standards, including in areas such as Child and Youth Safeguarding and Protection, Gender equality and inclusion, Counter Fraud, Safety and Security
- Managing activities and resources including skills in strategic thinking, planning and organising, financial planning and monitoring, negotiation and programme and project management
- Managing people and information including skills in assessment and coaching, evidence-based management, communication skills, both speaking and writing, and digital working, including personal digital skills
TECHNICAL EXPERTISE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Qualifications/ experience essential:
- A Master’s Degree in Social work, International Relations, Development or similar field.
- 10 years of relevant experience in INGO Sector or demonstrated equivalent combination.
- At least 7 years’ experience in managing development programme in the country with in the INGO sector.
- Proven experiences and ability to coordinate and collaborate with different civil society and Community based organization.
- Demonstrable working experience in development programme.
- Knowledge of developmental agendas in complex and protracted development and humanitarian landscape.
- Experience in context, funding and market analysis.
- Ability to communicate effectively and authoritatively on area of expertise, and influence others to reach common goals.
- Demonstrated track record of proposal writing and budget management
- Experience in leading team, coaching and mentoring, especially managing a large team.
- Excellent experience in conflict resolution.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.