The Syria Programme Director (SPD) is primarily responsible for assuring the programme quality, coherence and viability through leadership and management oversight of GOAL’s Syria Response programme portfolio. The SPD is a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT). S/he provides strategic direction, guidance and support to the Programme Coordinators (or equivalents) and their Project teams to ensure overall programme quality and viable resources for programmes.
The SPD, working closely with the CD and other members of the SMT, is responsible for promoting and ensuring an organizational culture where GOAL’s core values – Humanitarianism, Courage, Integrity, Respect and Partnership- are practiced, team work is encouraged and all staff feel valued. S/he is responsible for establishing and maintaining good working relationships with government officials, donors and partners.
Key responsibilities include:
- provision of effective leadership, supervision and guidance to programme staff
- lead strategic programme development and new business development for the country office
- ensure high quality program management & implementation
- promote functional integration between Programme and Systems
- contribute to strategic country level processes and initiatives
Lead, Mentor, and Manage Programme staff; responsible for providing effective supervision, leadership, coaching and guidance to the program staff located across the three countries (Syria, Turkey and Jordan) and for the development of human resources to ensure a skilled, motivated and collaborative workforce:
- Lead the programme department to ensure effective guidance to programme teams in program design, program quality assurance, and consistent application of grant compliance standards/policies.
- Ensure the proper Implementation of GOAL’s performance management system for direct reports, including individual and project planning, , regular feedback, coaching and mentoring, mid-term reviews and annual performance appraisals
- Support an organisational culture that reflects GOAL’s mandate, values, promotes accountability and high performance, encourage a team culture of learning, and innovation
- Oversee the recruitment and orientation of new direct reports and support Programme coordinators in the recruitment and orientation of Project staff
- Indirectly line manage GOAL’s Field Programs Coordinator and provide support and coaching to that position and other senior programmes positions inside Syria
- Maintain a focus on the training and development needs of the programmes team and support HR to arrange capacity development exercises as appropriate
Strategic Programme and New Business Development
- Generate and maintain viable program pipeline in line with Country Strategic Plans and programme priorities. Participate and lead team-based approaches for program and proposal development.
- Lead on drafting, reviewing and rolling out of all GOAL relevant strategic programme and planning documents in broad consultation with relevant staff.
- Ensure proper understanding of GOAL’s programmatic approaches and strategies by relevant actors (e.g. staff members, partners, government counterparts, and donors).
- Manage regular and critical review of the country programmatic strategies and action plans and initiate corrective actions/problem solving if and when needed
- Represent GOAL in key programme relevant meetings with donors, local government authorities, partners, UN agencies and international and local NGOs and various local co-ordination forums
- Support and advise country teams in positioning for and responding to new funding opportunities relevant to GOAL’s portfolio
- Oversee strong strategic programme proposal development to maintain, direct and expand GOAL’s programme portfolio in Syria
- Ensure GOAL is implementing assessments to feed into needs and plan for new funding opportunities
- Continually strengthen and build relationships with current and potential donors, partners and stakeholders for future programming
- Develop and implement systems for the identification of new programme ideas and innvoations in GOAL’s current and future programmes.
High Quality Program Management & Implementation
- Provide clear leadership and support on the key elements of Programme management & Implementation
- Ensure timely and coherent sector and project planning, in line with GOAL and donors’ strategic and operational priorities
- Ensure high quality project implementation for GOAL projects in line with agreed results, budgets, and work plans
- Provide strategic leadership to the Programme Quality funcions to assure effective monitoring and evaluation, accountability, protection, safeguarding and learning systems
- In conjunction with the CD, maintain excellent professional relationships with key donors ensuring a steady two-way flow of information regarding ongoing projects and grants, forthcoming opportunities, and evolving donor priorities and interests
- Ensure GOAL is appropriately represented in external coordination mechanisms including the sector- specific clusters and technical working groups.
- Provide strategic direction and guidance to the grants team in the development of donor proposals, reports and other donor facing comms products, assuring they are delivered on time and to exceptional quality standards. Implement programes in adherence to donor agreements
- Contribute to regular programme risk analysis and development of mitigation plans in consultation with Area Management Teams and Programme Coordinators
- Ensure cross-cutting themes e.g. CHS & relevant technical standards (like Sphere) are mainstreamed in all programs where appropriate and relevant
- Promote synergies and collaboration between and within sectors in programme implementation and collaboration between Programme and Programme quality teams
- Promote a learning and dynamic environment that facilitates two-way learning with various stakeholders, including other parts of GOAL. Promote semi-annual programme learning and reflections to strengthen the quality of the program and to document learnings
- Ensure that all key programme staff has a common and appropriate understanding of the programmatic approaches and priorities
- Ensure that relevant grants management and donor regulations and requirements are adequately shared and understood by the programme teams
Promote functional integration between Programme and Systems that promotes efficiency and effectiveness
- Promote efficient provision of services to Program staff by working closely with Systems Director and promoting collaboration between the programme and systems/finance teams
- Assure that program team understands and is adhering to Financial, HR, Procurement, Logs and IT policies and procedures. Provide suggestions for improvementResponsibility #5: Partnerships % of Time: 10 • Lead the development of the programmatic aspects of GOAL Syria’s overall partnership strategy. • Provide oversight to strategic programming issues, promoting alignment between GOAL and partners in key approaches, methodologies and principles. • Ensure inclusion of partners into program design, grants management processes and Program Quality activities.
Contribute to strategic country level processes and initiatives
- Actively participate and contribute to the senior management team, strategic planning processes, and relevant GOAL -wide strategic initiatives
- Support Country Director and act on his/her behalf as required.
Technical & Functional skills
Relevant university degree (Master or Postgraduate), in Social Sciences, International Development, International Relations, Law or any other relevant field. • Minimum of five years’ senior management experience with International NGOs or operational UN agencies, including at least two years' experience of community-level programming. • Proven managerial experience in food security and livelihoods, WASH, and emergency programming and/or related fields in a management capacity. • Proven experience in providing high quality technical input on programme design and management, including budget expenditure, reporting, staff management, and programme quality standards
Skilled communicator and ability to work effectively across multiple cultures, including remotely. • Excellent writing and verbal skills in English. Arabic is highly desirable • Adaptability and flexibility: Ability to manage a large workload and multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines, and to continually reprioritise multiple tasks as a result of new information. • Work style: Highly organized team player, pro-active and with demonstrated strong personal initiative and decision-making ability. Proven solid analytical and problem-solving skills. • Travel: Ability and willingness to travel (up to 40%) to Turkey and regionally.
GOAL Competencies: • Adaptability • Innovation • Communication with Impact • Strategic decision making • Coaching • Developing Teams • Managing Performance for Success • Planning and Organizing • Building Partnerships • Initiating Action
- Competitive Salary
- Accompanied Contract with Private Housing
- 22 days Annual Leave
- Health Insurance (for you and dependents)
- Additional benefits are available after 12 months of service