UNDP in Uzbekistan is supporting the Government in its ambitious reform agenda. Within the UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework for 2021-2025, UNDP will center efforts on the reduction of inequalities to contribute by 2030 to a more “just, equal and resilient society” with three strategic priorities: effective governance and justice for all; inclusive human capital development leading to health, well-being and resilient prosperity, and sustainable, climate-responsible and resilient development.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Programme Management Specialist, the Programme Finance Assistant provides financial services ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work. The Programme Finance Assistant promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Programme Finance Assistant works in close collaboration with the Operations, Programme and project teams in the CO and with UNDP IRH and HQs staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Summary of key functions:
- Support to administration and implementation of programme/operations strategies
- Support to budget adminstration/implementation.
- Support programme and projects with donor reporting and Atlas budget errors/exceptions
Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Provides support for the administration and implementation of programme/operations strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance with UN/UNDP rules and regulations and other relevant policies on financial recording/reporting system and follow-up on audit recommendations; implementation of effective internal controls, proper functioning of a client-oriented financial resources management system.
- Provision of inputs for preparation of cost sharing, trust fund and other agreements, follow up on contributions within the CO resource mobilization efforts.
Provides effective support to administration of programme budgets focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Substantive support to projects and programmes during the formulation and finalization of work plans, budgets, proposals on implementation arrangements and execution modalities.
- Clearance of the project budget revisions and finalization in Atlas
- Monitoring of budget implementation and recommendations on reallocation of funds when necessary.
- Tracking and preparing spreadsheets on delivery and mobilized resources.
- Extraction of data from various sources.
- Research and retrieval of statistical data from internal and external sources; preparation of statistical charts, tables and reports on project regular and donor funds
- Maintenance of the filing system
- Keeping track of pipelines and timely update their status in Atlas
Provides substantive support to programme and projects focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support with resolving errors in Atlas
- Support to compilation of data for internal/external audit.
- Review of draft reports, verifying overall accuracy, consistency of figures in tables with the text of the reports, and verifies compliance with template enclosed in the signed agreement
- Provision of inputs to reports including donor reports.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the organization of training for the office staff on programme finance related issues.
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in programme finance.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of Results
- The key results have an impact on the overall CO efficiency in programme financial resources management and success in implementation of programme/operations strategies. Accurate analysis and presentation of financial information enhances UNDP position as a strong development partner. The information provided facilitates decision making of the management.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of standard specialized and non-specialized tasks and work processes that are fully documented, researched, recorded and reported
- Ability to review a variety of data, identify and adjust discrepancies, identify and resolve operational problems
- Ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work
- Good knowledge of financial rules and regulations and Results Management Guide, accounting
- Strong IT skills, Atlas
- Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, implementation of new system.
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change
- Responds positively to feedback and differing points of view
- UNDP Accounting and Finance Training and Certification
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Economic, Business or Public Administration is required. Specialized certification in accounting or finance is an advantage.
Experience: 2 years of progressively responsible finance/programme experience at the national or international level is required.
Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Fluency in English and Uzbek/Russian.