PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The VisionFund International (VFI) Programme Funding Manager will develop and manage funding opportunities in select 4 Countries in either Central, East or West Africa primarily, through grants from Bilateral, Corporates, Multilateral, Philanthropists and Partnerships through World Vision National Offices and /or other NGO’s and partners aligned to VFI’s Strategic focus in the network of microfinance institutions (MFIs) in keeping with strategy and funding priorities.
This position will be responsible of ensuring donor and partnership retention through effective and efficient compliance and management of third party grant and major donor acquisitions. Reporting to the Senior Programme Funding Manager for Africa; the role may support some French speaking Countries; therefore a candidate displaying proficiency in both English and French would be an added advantage. The role will manage grant and donor funding opportunity pipeline and provide fundraising technical support, capacity building, project monitoring, and donor impact reporting to the Country MFI’s. This role will additionally focus on building, maintaining and strengthening relationships with relevant and
key stakeholders such as World Vision Support and National offices and other identified Organisations. The role will lead proposal writing, grant implementation for donor compliance, and maintaining close relationships with MFI project staff in accordance with the Organisations norms and acceptable practices.
- Research and assess funding institutions and develop opportunity pipeline aligned with MFI strategic funding priorities.
- Manage all components of the Request For Proposals (RFP) and ensure application alignment with MFI funding priorities; vet with senior leadership and obtain approval.
- Set up and support proposal development teams; create project work plan and ensure proposals and supporting documents are prepared to technical specifications and submitted on time.
- Provide technical support and capacity building to field staff, Support Office staff and other members of the Fundraising team on proposal development, monitoring, reporting, and project management.
- Support Senior Programme Funding Manager for Africa in identifying and achieving annual funding targets.
- Within strategy, develop and manage key regional funder relationships with new and existing funders and World Vision Offices to achieve long-lasting global fundraising support.
Project Monitoring, and Management:
- Monitor project compliance and implementation to ensure projects are delivered to specifications.
- Support MFIs and ensure project impact reports are of high quality and submitted on time.
- Build capacity of MFIs for managing projects.
- Ensure contracts are reviewed and risks managed and funds flow effectively to MFIs.
Relationship Development and Networking:
- Network with major regional funders to establish collaborative relationships, learn of opportunities, and enhance VFI's ability to gain donor funding and enhance VFI's reputation in the marketplace.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key World Vision support and national office funding staff ensuring that the microfinance project model is understood and fundraising opportunities are maximised.
- Attend sector seminars, training, communities of practice and forums where industry staff and/or funders meet with the objective of leveraging funding and partnerships for the VFI network.
- Maintain knowledge of microfinance industry and trends including focus of targeted donors.
Impact & Project Management Initiatives:
- Ensure outcomes of projects are high-quality and high-impact through ongoing monitoring and the execution of mid-term and final evaluations, operations research, etc.
- Review field reports and findings/recommendations to determine and replicate best practices and apply lessons learned.
- Contribute to the Fundraising team in developing innovative and emerging fundraising systems, processes and tools.
- Contribute to streamlining Funding policies in the MFI’s.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- University degree in either International development, International Relations, International Management, Marketing, Public Relations, or related field
- 5-8 years experience in Bilateral, Corporate, Mulitilateral, Philanthropy Fundraising/Business development /Grant making in a Corporate or Non-Governmental Organisation.
- High Proficiency (oral and written) in English language.
- Ability to write and speak both English and French is an added advantage.
- This role requires 5-8 years in Grants, major donor fundraising and corporate management setting dealing with senior management. Experience in microfinance or financial institutions, humanitarian, international development. Able to work in complex corporate culture and financial systems and ensure procedures internally and with third parties are well documented, monitored and executed. Creative and helpful at problem solving for both VFI and MFI’s. Able to work well with granting agencies, Support Offices, MFIs, and other VFI groups.
- Candidate must have the permit/authority to work in the Country of residence in the case of foreign nationals requesting to be recruited in the placement Country.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Excellent management, communication, and relationship-building skills; must lead through influence and establish effective working relationships within MFIs in the region, external partners, Agencies and Leaders in the Microenterprise development field.
- International Management/Relations experience is an important asset, particularly in emerging/developing countries.
- Knowledge of the microfinance sector and rural micro-financing is key.
- Demonstrated good judgment and cultural sensitivity.
- Creates processes with greater efficiency in mind, eliminating bureaucracy wherever possible.
- Able to travel to remote areas where MFI’s work and internationally.
- Effective coach, able to train people in VisionFund policies and procedures formally and informally.
- Must be able to simultaneously manage multiple priorities and projects; ability to navigate complex stakeholder relationships effectively.
- Team players characteristics and flexibility on working hours to connect with people within wide time-zone differences is required.
- Experience working with Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) with rural operational programs in Sub-Sahara Africa.
- Hands on experience in project management, Business development, fundraising and/or Resource Acquisition for either NGO’s, businesses and Strong situational analytical skills will be desirable. Experience taking part of project designs, baseline and end line evaluations.
Work Environment/Travel: The position requires ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally up to 30% or more of the time.