United Nations Office for Project Services, Laos
Closing Date for Applications:
The Asia Regional Health Cluster (ARHC) was established in 2018 for efficient delivery of grants and funds management, and the provision of quality pharmaceuticals and medical equipment. The ARHC aims to significantly impact the targets of UN Sustainable Development Goal #3 on good health and well being by expanding the population benefitting from UNOPS-managed health-related engagements across the Asia Region. The ARHC portfolio manages the Principal Recipient (PR) Programme of the Global Fund in Asia. The Global Fund, which has been providing financial support to the Greater Mekong Sub-Region for malaria programs since 2003, has selected UNOPS as a PR, responsible for delivering the targets set out in the grant agreements, in collaboration with selected Sub-Recipients (SRs) from the National Programmes, international and local non-governmental organizations and United Nations agencies.
Background Information – Job Specific
- UNOPS is the Principal Recipient managing the RAI grant (RAI2E 2018-2020, RAI3E 2021-2023), established by Global Fund in 2018, providing USD242million and USD231million, respectively, for malaria elimination activities in the Greater Mekong Sub region.
- Under the direct supervision of the Programme and M&E Specialist, the Programme Management Senior Associate shall be actively involved in the management of the RAI3E grant, and ensure coordination between the National Programme/ other sub-recipients and the PR UNOPS.
- Ensure UNOPS and GFATM protocols and standards are adhered to by the programme;
- Actively contribute to the administration and monitoring of all aspects of project implementation, including finance, budget and management;
- Coordinate with the national programs and the other sub-recipients to support them in implementing the Global Fund grants;
- Support the development of budgeted work plans, performance framework and commodities forecasting in collaboration with the sub-recipients
- Facilitate the quarterly or semi-annual work planning meetings, coordination meetings and capacity building trainings for the national program and other sub-recipients
- Review the work plans and reports submitted by SRs,ensuring that they are sound, in line with the approved programme and the GF’s policy and strategies
- Participate in data collection, data management, data quality review and reporting from sub-recipients to PR
- Conduct regular data desk review at sub-recipients
- Contribute to routine monitoring of project progress, activity results and implementation costs against planning to ensure the actions supported by the PR are implemented effectively and efficiently as well as adjusted as needed to reflect changes in the national programme-adjusted work plans and budgets
- Actively participate in the day to day coordination of project activities with all sub-recipients and other partners
- Act as a liaison between the National Programme and the PR UNOPS;
- Interact with colleagues, clients, partners and in the PR to exchange vital information on operational issues related to National Programme as the case may be and seek cooperation to resolve routine operational issues and process problems and refer complex issues to supervisor with recommendation of course of action;
- Participate in PR UNOPS’s field visits to the National Programme and other sub-recipients’ project sites
- Maintenance of up to date program records, both in hard copy and in the computerized system;
- Attend all relevant technical meetings and maintaining excellent contacts with all stakeholders;
- Translate important project documents from Laos to English and English to Laos.
- Perform other relevant duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN security Management System and that of UNOPS.
Impact of Results
- Good professional relationship with the National Programme, Ministry of Health and Sub-Recipient partners.
- Positive feedback from the National Programme and other sub-recipients on support provided by the contractor, particularly in the timely submission of work plans and reports required for M&E Purposes.
- Records well maintained and up to date based on project activities.
- Accurate/good quality reports & statistics submitted when and as required.
- Supervisor & clients regularly briefed on project activities when and as necessary.
- Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- High school diploma / Secondary education is required.
- Higher degree (Bachelor's or Master's) in health or project management is considered an asset and may substitute for some years of relevant work experience.
- Minimum 7 years of experience in health or project management is required (if in possession of secondary / high school diploma).
- Experience working in Malaria program management is desirable.
- Knowledge of UN rules and regulations, government directory, NGOs, UN agencies and embassies would be an asset.
- Good working knowledge of MS Office applications is desirable.
- Fluency in English and fluency in Lao Language are required.