The objective of the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD) is to combat desertification and mitigate the effects of drought in countries experiencing serious drought and/or desertification around the world, particularly in Africa, through effective action at all levels, supported by international cooperation and partnership arrangements, with a view to contributing to the achievement of sustainable development in affected areas.
Land is a necessary part of the solution to meet the new challenges the world is facing from the COVID-19 pandemic. Land restoration and sustainable land management provides food, livelihoods, and jobs. It helps communities cope and enhance resilience at local levels. The UNCCD secretariat communicates the relevance and strategic importance of land-based recovery through the implementation of the Convention.
Land for Life and the Land Ambassador programmes both aim at increasing the public support for the Convention by demonstrating the relevance of land to their daily lives and strengthening environmental commitment through exemplary actions by local communities, private sectors and celebrities.
- Under the overall supervision of Chief, Communications Unit the incumbent will work under general supervision of Communications Team Leader.
- The incumbent will perform the following duties:
Land for Life Programme
- Monitor processes and schedules related to the L4L programme, productions, tasks, etc; assist in the verification of receipt and accuracy of requisite documents, approvals, signatures, and follow-up on pending actions, maintain files and data bases;
- Draft communication materials related to the programme including web-news, brochures and social media texts;
- Propose awareness raising opportunities related to the Land for Land programme such as promotional campaigns;
- Provide programme support to the Land for Life Award current and former winners and explore programme partners for the Award.
- Provide secretarial, administrative and logistic support in organization of the various meetings and activities related to the L4L programme;
- Prepare presentation and publication materials related to the L4L programme using appropriate technology/software;
- Maintain the webpage about the L4L Programme by preparing a variety of documents and graphics;
- Contact partners, draft letters and information materials for the promotion of the programme, including press releases, announcements and messages, and coordinating the Award selection process;
- Act as a focal point for the Land for Life Award and inquiries regarding the Land for Life programme;
- Manage and monitor the financial flows related to the Land for Life programme and draft the end of the year-cycle progress report.
UNCCD Land Ambassador programme:
- Keep regular and close contact with the Land Ambassadors from different cultural and language background, and actively identify opportunities for collaboration with them such as awareness raising and policy advocacy opportunities, high profile public and media events as well as field missions.
- Propose annual plans and strategies for the implementation of the Land Ambassadors Programme
- Maintain the webpage about the Land Ambassador Programme by preparing a variety of documents and graphics;
- Manage and monitor the financial flows related to the Land Ambassador programme and draft the end of the year-cycle progress report.
Performs any other job-related activity required to achieve the goals and objectives of the unit, sub-unit, programme or the secretariat.
- Knowledge of internal policies, processes and procedures generally and in particular those related to programme/project administration, implementation and evaluation, technical cooperation, programming and budgeting. Ability to identify, extract, analyze and format data from a wide variety of standard and non-standard sources. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Relevant first-level university degree in combination with one year of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of three years of required experience.
- At least five years of working experience (or two years if graduated with a bachelor’s degree) in programme management in the area of communications is required.
- Experience in planning and organizing meetings, conferences, and/or events is desirable.
- Experience working in a multicultural environment is desirable.
- Experience working within the UN System is desirable.
- Familiarity with social media and web-content management is desirable.
- Familiarity with the UNCCD or related Conventions is desirable.
For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language, in particular French, is an advantage.