Programme Management Assistant
Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, Geneva, Switzerland
Closing Date for Applications:
Org. Setting and Reporting
This post is located in the Field Operations and Technical Cooperation division of the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), in Geneva. The incumbent will operate under the overall guidance and direct supervaision of the Division Director.
Within limits of delegated authority, the Programme Assistant may be responsible for any of the following duties:
- Receives, assesses and refers telephone and personal inquiries for the Division Director.
- Arranges meetings, makes appointments, receives visitors, manages the agenda and arranges the travel of the Division Director.
- Assists in the organization and servicing of meetings as well as the overall organization of field visits, including travel arrangements in UMOJA and logistics.
- Initiates, reviews, processes and follows up on actions related to the administration of the unit’s human resource activities, e.g. recruitment of staff and consultants, placement, promotion, relocation, performance appraisal, job classification reviews, training, etc., ensuring consistency in the application of UN rules and procedures.
- Provides assistance in support of planning and implementation activities/processes for, typically, a large and highly complex component of the departmental programme/project initiatives.
- Researches, compiles, analyses, summarizes, and presents basic information/data on specific programmes/project and related topics.
- Assists in the coordination of programme/project planning and preparation; monitors status of programme/project proposals; takes necessary action to ensure project documents are completed and submitted to relevant parties for approval.
- Assists in the preparation and analysis of programme/project budget proposals; provides assistance in the interpretation of budget guidelines; reviews and coordinates submissions of programme proposals and budget estimates, ensuring that requisite information is included and justified in terms of proposed activities; propose adjustments as necessary; prepares reports and ensures that outputs/services are properly categorized.
- Assists in the monitoring and evaluation of programmes/projects; categorizes, updates, tracks and analyses data related to programmes/projects, e.g. accounting records, outputs, resources utilized, deviations/revisions, etc.; carries out periodic status reviews, identifies issues and initiates requisite follow-up actions; prepares revised budget estimates; reports on budget revisions, expenditures and obligations, verifies availability of funds; ensures necessary approval and entry in computerized budget system; initiates financial authorizations for expenditures.
- Collaborates with programme/project managers on performance reporting; liaises with relevant parties on the interpretation of the activities/services scheduled in the PB and various planning instruments such as the medium-term plan and internal work plans; provides assistance on reporting requirements, guidelines, rules and procedures and ensures completeness and accuracy of data submitted.
- Drafts programme/project summaries, coordinates review and clearance process, and coordinates with editor, translation services, etc. on finalization and publication of report multiple languages.
- Serves as focal point for coordination, monitoring and expedition of programme/project implementation activities, involving extensive liaison with a diverse organisational units to initiate requests, prepare standard terms of reference against programme/project objectives, obtain necessary clearances, process and follow-up on administrative actions and resolve issues related to project implementation, e.g. recruitment and appointment of personnel, travel arrangements, organisation of and participation in training/study tours, authorization of payments, disbursement of funds, procurement of equipment and services, etc.
- Prepares, maintains and updates files (electronic and paper) and internal databases; designs and generates a variety of periodic and ad hoc reports, statistical tables, graphic content, and other background materials/notes to facilitate inspection and other reviews.
- Drafts correspondence and communications related to all aspects of programme/project administration, including work plan and budgets, revisions and other related issues, as well as prepares unit contributions for a variety of periodic reports.
- Provides guidance and training to new/junior staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- A minimum of seven years of experience in programme or project administration, technical cooperation or related area is required.
- Experience in providing administrative support to a senior UN official is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of French is desirable.