Programme Management Assistant
United Nations Human Settlements Programme, Madrid, Spain
Closing Date for Applications:
Under the direct supervision of the Head of UN-Habitat Country Office Spain and overall supervision of the Chief, Policy, Legislation and Governance Section, Urban Practices Branch, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Provides assistance in support of planning and implementation activities/processes for, typically, a large and highly complex component of the departmental programme/project initiatives.
- Researches, compiles, analyses, summarizes, and presents basic information/data on specific programmes/project and related topics.
- Assists in the coordination of programme/project planning and preparation; monitors status of programme/project proposals; takes necessary action to ensure project documents are completed and submitted to relevant parties for approval.
- Assists in the preparation and analysis of programme/project budget proposals; provides assistance in the interpretation of budget guidelines; reviews and coordinates submissions of programme proposals and budget estimates, ensuring that requisite information is included and justified in terms of proposed activities; propose adjustments as necessary; prepares reports and ensures that outputs/services are properly categorized.
- Assists in the monitoring and evaluation of programmes/projects; categorizes, updates, tracks and analyses data related to programmes/projects, e.g. accounting records, outputs, resources utilized, deviations/revisions, etc.; carries out periodic status reviews, identifies issues and initiates requisite follow-up actions; prepares revised budget estimates; reports on budget revisions, expenditures and obligations, verifies availability of funds; ensures necessary approval and entry in computerized budget system; initiates financial authorizations for expenditures.
- Collaborates with programme/project managers on performance reporting; liaises with relevant parties on the interpretation of the activities/services scheduled; provides assistance on reporting requirements, guidelines, rules and procedures and ensures completeness and accuracy of data submitted.
- Drafts programme/project summaries, coordinates review and clearance process, and coordinates with editor, translation services, etc. on finalization and publication of report multiple languages.
- • Serves as focal point for coordination, monitoring and expedition of programme/project implementation activities, involving extensive liaison with a diverse organisational units to initiate requests, prepare standard terms of reference against programme/project objectives, obtain necessary clearances, process and follow-up on administrative actions and resolve issues related to project implementation, e.g. recruitment and appointment of personnel, travel arrangements, organisation of and participation in training/study tours, authorization of payments, disbursement of funds, procurement of equipment and services, etc.
- Prepares, maintains and updates files (electronic and paper) and internal databases; designs and generates a variety of periodic and ad hoc reports, statistical tables, graphic content, and other background materials/notes to facilitate inspection and other reviews.
- Drafts correspondence and communications related to all aspects of programme/project administration, including work plan and budgets, revisions and other related issues, as well as prepares unit contributions for a variety of periodic reports.
- Provides guidance and training to new/junior staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
Job - Specific Qualification
- A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible work experience in administrative services, finance, accounting, audit, human resources or related area are required.
- Experience with System Application Programme (SAP) based Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems, is desirable.
- Experience with the United Nations or regional or international organizations, is desirable.
- Experience in budgeting, project administration, technical cooperation, accounting management or related areas is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required.
- Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.