Programme Management Officer
United Nations Environment Programme, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Closing Date for Applications:
- The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. This position is located in Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia under the authority of UNEP West Asia. The programme officer reports to the Saudi Environment Sustainability Programme Manager. The focus of the job is to lead the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of a data and information systems centre in support of the Saudi Arabia's National Environment Strategy, and in line with the strategic cooperation agreement between UNEP and the Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Within delegated authority, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Develop, implement and evaluate the environmental data and information systems centre in Saudi Arabia within the framework of the respective component of UNEP Saudi Programme, etc.; review relevant documents and reports; identify problems and issues to be addressed and initiates corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties and ensures follow-up actions.
- Prepare the conceptual framework for the establishment of an environmental information and data department/centre in the Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture. Prepare detailed structures, tasks, operational requirements and working mechanisms to establish an environmental data and information department in the Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture.
- Perform advisory and consulting assignments, in collaboration with the Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture, by planning and facilitating workshops, through interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change. Research, analyze and present information on environment data and information systems for the benefit of the Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture and centers of excellence, including global data platforms.
- Coordinate and support policy and strategy development with regard to data and information management, including the review and analysis of environmental issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies. Generate survey initiatives; design data collection and presentation tools; review, analyse and interpret responses, identify problems/issues and prepare conclusions and recommendations.
- Organize and prepare written outputs on environment data and information management, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc. Provide substantive backstopping to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
- Initiate and coordinate outreach activities; conduct training workshops, seminars, etc.; make presentations on environment data and information systems as well as other assigned topics and activities such as knowledge management, communication and outreach. Lead and participate in field missions in Saudi Arabia, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.
- Coordinate activities related to budget funding for the assigned environment data and information component, in terms of preparation and submissions of new concepts, substantive progress reports and financial statements, etc.) and prepare related documents and reports (e.g concepts, pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
- Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to particular sector, functional area or other specialized field. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
CLIENT ORIENTATION: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients" and seeks to see things from clients' point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in Environment Management, Information Systems and Technologies, Computer Science, Data Management, Economics or a related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with additional two years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree. Possession of professional certificates in IT systems design, GIS, programming language or/and project management is desirable.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in Environment Data and Information Management is required.
- Experience working in government or international organizations settings providing advisory and technical support in environment planning, management and information for decision-making is desirable.
- Prior work experience in the West Asia region is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of Arabic is desirable.