ORG. SETTING AND REPORTING
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
The UNEP/Latin America and the Caribbean Office helps to implement UNEP's programs by initiating, coordinating and catalyzing regional and sub-regional cooperation and action in response to environmental, challenges, opportunities and emergencies. This post is located in the Latin America and the Caribbean Office at the Panama duty station. Under the direct supervision to the Climate Change Coordinator, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
Participates in the conceptualization, formulation and implementation of Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) related project portfolio in Latin America and the Caribbean within the scope of the UN Environment Programme´s climate change programme of work and country ownership:
- Contributes to the UN Environment Programme's climate change resource mobilization strategy through the identification of climate-finance related projects and development of project proposals based on the expressed needs of countries.
- Works with other Programme Management Officers to jointly develop project proposals focused on the NDCs implementation across thematic sectorial areas, such as cities, transport, energy and nature-based solutions.
- Liaises with relevant government officials, donors, private sector, UN Agencies, international organizations, and other partners to ensure and strengthen the project design, approval and implementation process.
- Identifies synergies with other ongoing NDCs initiatives and platforms within UN Environment Programme and develops and participates in the development of strategic partnerships for the implementation of the climate change programme of work in the region.
- Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects, etc.; monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation; provides substantive support to relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and suggests corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
- Supports countries and Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) focal points in the implementation of their climate goals. Identify financial instruments for NDCs (Nationally Determined Contributions) implementation and private sector engagement.
- Participates in the institutionalization and tracking of the NDCs implementation.
Provides technical advisory services to governments and strategic partners on climate transparency with a balanced focus on adaptation and mitigation of climate actions to support the implementation of the UN Environment Programme´s climate change programme of work in the region:
- Provides substantive support in policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies to the related areas of work.
- Researches, analyzes and presents information to assist decision-making related to the areas of work.
- Assists various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
- Provides substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
- Participates and provides substantive support in field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.
- Provides backstopping to the Climate Change Coordinator in carrying out additional technical and policy-relevant tasks as assigned.
- Supports and enables countries to translate their NDCs into a balanced portfolio of policies and programmes in mitigation and adaptation.
Provides technical advisory services for the integration of development and climate change and sharing knowledge among project partners and stakeholders:
- Participates in the implementation of NDCs Action project in Argentina, Colombia and Costa Rica; provides substantive support to the in-time and in-budget delivery of the Project´s deliverables, analyses the quality of the project outputs and support actions to improve their quality when necessary; assists in project related budgeting, recruitment and contracting activities, and monitors and reports project progress and performance; highlights any significant risks or programme problems; takes action and follows up on decisions made.
- Provides backstopping to the Climate Change Coordinator in managing internal and external programme-related communications and interactions between The Federal Ministry of Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU), through its International Climate Initiative (IKI), the UN Environment Programme´s Latin America and the Caribbean Climate Change Unit and country beneficiaries and partners with the aim of responding to queries, providing information and liaising as appropriate.
- Provides substantive support in developing countries to implement the Paris Agreement goals, to enhance inter-ministerial structures across all sectors that will ensure high quality actions and instruments and, are supporting governments to create the capacities to respond to UNFCCC's reporting requirements and tracking of goals.
- Assist effective promotion and dissemination of the Project results through IKI Platforms and among relevant stakeholders; identifies needs for knowledge and advisory services and assists in the provision of such services through the IKI Platforms.
- Enhances experience-sharing, both among the partner countries in LAC and with other countries and organizations working on NDCs.
- Provides science-based recommendations for climate goals implementation considering the national context and inviting countries to increase their ambition in climate action. Enhance the use of UN Environment publication as a technical background to inform climate change decisions and new climate-policies.
- Fosters peer-to-peer regional exchange through the identification of similar activities in NDCs Action in the region, creating economies of scale and maximizing human and financial resources.
Performs operations activities and other related duties which includes, but not limited, the following:
- Participates in activities related to budget and funding (project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) is required with preference in energy, sustainable development, engineering or a related field.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in project and programme management in the field of climate change mitigation is required.
- Experience in technical assistance, resource mobilization, knowledge creation and capacity building related to this field is required.
- Experience working with public organizations and/or governments on climate change is required.
- Experience at international level and in the UN system or similar organization is desirable.
- Practical experience in dealing with public and private institutions is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English and Spanish is required.