Programme Management Officer
United Nations Conference on Trade and Development, Geneva, Switzerland
Closing Date for Applications:
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Office of the Secretary-General of the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD). The Programme Management Officer works under the supervision of the Chief of Staff and the overall guidance of the Deputy-Secretary General of the institution.
Within delegated authority, the Programme Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned projects led by the office of the Secretary-General; monitors and analyzes project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
- Monitors the implementation of decisions and agreements between the Office of the Secretary-General and the Divisions and Services in the institution.
- Coordinates the preparation of the participation of UNCTAD principals in meetings and events. This includes logistic arrangements, liaising with organizers, preparing or consolidating briefing materials and speaking notes or speeches.
- Coordinates activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
- Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources.
- Provides effective and timely technical advice on policy options and their implications as well as providing technical assistance in trade, investment, eCommerce and other related areas.
- Undertakes survey initiatives; designs data collection tools; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions.
- Prepares various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
- Provides substantive support to the preparation of reports and to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
- Undertakes outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, management, economics or a related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, administration or related area is required.
- Out of these, at least two years of experience in front office functions is desirable.
- Out of these, at least 2 years of experience in preparing speaking engagements for high-level officials is desirable (e.g. consolidating or preparing speaking points, coordinating arrangements and briefing materials).
- Experience in supporting the organization of high-level intergovernmental events is an asset.
- Experience in supporting the preparation of reports on trade and development is an asset
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of French is desirable.