Programme Management Officer
United Nations Support Mission in Libya, Tripoli, Libya
Closing Date for Applications:
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located within the Office of the Chief of Staff of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya. The position is based in Tripoli, Libya (Tripoli is classified as a Hardship "E" duty station and a non-family duty station). The incumbent will be under the overall supervision of the Chief of Staff.
Within delegated authority, the Programme Management Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Participates in the development, planning, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/
- projects, etc.; monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
- Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources.
- Assists in policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies.
- Undertakes reviews; designs collection tools; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions;
- Prepares various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
- Provides substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
- Undertakes outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
- Participates in or leads field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.
- Coordinates activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.)
- Contributes to the preparation, review and reporting on strategies, action plans and various management and accountability mechanisms (including ERM, ORMS, Disability Strategy, WAAB).
- Supports the COS and the Planning Officer on reviewing the Mission workplan and Strategic Framework activities between UNSMIL and the UN country team.
- Facilitates, manages and evaluates projects and activities within UNSMIL and acts as a liaison between the Chief of Staff and other offices on all programmatic issues.
- Substitutes for the Special Assistant/COS as and when required.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in international relations, business administration, economics or a related field. A first level university degree with a combination of two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, coordination, political reporting, or related field, with at least one year in a conflict/post-conflict environment is required.
- Experience in results-based budgeting required.
- A minimum of one year experience working at United Nations headquarters or in a United Nations common system field operation (inclusive of peacekeeping, political missions and UN agencies, funds, and programmes) - or similar international organization or non-governmental organization is required.
- Experience in drafting project or meeting documents, preparing reports, as well as organizing expert meetings is desirable.
- Demonstrated experience working with UN policies and procedures is desirable.
- Experience in a UN field mission is desirable.
- Experience working in the front office of a senior manager is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of Arabic or French is desirable.