Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in Programme Management Unit (PMU) within the United Nations Counter-Terrorism Centre (UNCCT) of the United Nations Office of Counter-Terrorism (UNOCT), in New York. The Programme Officer reports to the head of unit or to a senior Programme Officer.
The United Nations Office of Counter-Terrorism (UNOCT) was established by the General Assembly in June 2017. The Office has five main functions: (a) provide leadership on the General Assembly counter-terrorism mandates across the United Nations System; (b) enhance coordination and coherence across the 43 Global Counter-Terrorism Coordination Compact entities to ensure the balanced implementation of the four pillars of the Strategy; (c) strengthen the delivery of United Nations counter-terrorism capacity-building assistance to Member States; (d) improve visibility, advocacy and resource mobilization for United Nations counter-terrorism efforts; and (e) ensure that due priority is given to counter-terrorism across the United Nations System and that the important work on preventing violent extremism is firmly rooted in the Strategy.
The United Nations Counter-Terrorism Centre (UNCCT) is part of UNOCT and promotes the delivery of United Nations capacity building assistance to Member States. The UNCCT Programme Management Unit supports the Director with strategy, programming, information management and resource management. The Unit also supports the Director and the Executive Director of UNCCT in their engagement with the UNCCT Advisory Board and undertakes secretariat functions in this regard.
Within delegated authority, the Programme Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Participates in the development, implementation, evaluation , and monitoring of assigned programmes/projects, etc.; monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation, provides quality assurance; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
- Performs technical support and capacity building, in collaboration with the client, and assists in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change.
- Researches, analyzes and presents information and data gathered from diverse sources.
- Contributes to the implementation and monitoring of organizational strategies, policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies.
- Undertakes survey initiatives; designs data collection tools; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions, including with regard to lessons learned from UNCCT programming.
- Prepares various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
- Provides substantive support to consultative and other meetings, to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, and preparation of documents and presentations.
- Contributes to information and knowledge management processes in support of organizational learning and undertakes outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
- Coordinates activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation, submission, and monitoring) and prepares related documents/reports providing quality assurance and ensuring that project documents include sound measurement frameworks and indicators to support monitoring and evaluation processes.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, management, economics or a related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, administration or related area is required.
- Experience in supporting the management of complex multi-stakeholder programmes required.
- Experience in counter-terrorism programming desirable.
- Experience working in a PRINCE2 and MSP environment is desirable.
- English or French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For this position fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.