Overall purpose of the role:
The Programs Manager is effectively the Deputy Area Manager for Programs, who will have the overall management and oversight responsibility for the program design, planning and implementation for all Rakhine programs' portfolio, this includes, Protection (Child protection, General Protection and Gender-Based Violence), Livelihoods and Camp Management and Camp Coordination (CCCM) Programs. Ensuring quality program performance and alignment with technical and program management standards.
The Programs Manager will directly manage at least 3 expats and 1 national managers, including: Protection manager, CCCM Manager, Livelihoods Manager and Infrastructure Team leader/Manager, ensuring adequate support and capacity development is provided to the overall programs teams to ensure highest levels of performance. Where Technical Coordinators are in place, they will be responsible for technical line management of the relevant program managers.
The programs Manager will also work closely with the MEAL manager/Specialist, Heads of Programs, Grants Unit, Protection Coordinator, Finance and Support Services departments, ensuring timely and smooth coordination between programs and other support departments.
Geographic scope: Area (Rakhine)
This role has an area focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the area. The role contributes to the development of area strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and guidance to all area's operations in Central and Northern Rakhine State.
This position is based in Sittwe with frequent travels to other locations including Mrauk-U and Maungdaw bases.
Strategy and Program Development:
- Along with the Area Manager and Head of Programme, responsible for developing the overall programmatic strategy across the entire area operation, ensuring that program design and implementation is inline with the overall country program strategy
- Ensure strategic programme planning for upcoming program cycles in line with available funding, and identify funding gaps where needed
- Responsible for developing policies, processes and standards within respective areas
- Deliver inputs to program strategy and identify opportunities for new projects
- Lead assessments for emergency or longer term programming in existing or new project locations
- Contribute to and/or lead (as requested) on the development of concept papers, budgets and proposals with support from Grants unit and Project Managers.
- With support from Area Manager, ensure the incorporation of the on-going context analysis and scenario planning as part of programs' strategy and planning.
- Along with Technical Coordinators and Area Manager, responsible for supporting the development of technical strategies inline with overall country technical programme strategy
- Lead and manage the program staff (including people planning, performance, well-being and development).
- Identify and develop capacity development support to program teams with focus on national capacity development.
- Provide clear guidance and support and ensure implementation plans, policies and requirements are properly communicated to all program staff.
Program Management and Quality Assurance:
- Enabling and overseeing effective, efficient and timely implementation of all projects according to agreed contracts, budgets, policies and in accordance with specific donor requirements
- Lead on grants opening, close out and monthly program performance meetings for all area programs, with support from the Grants Team
- Support programme managers in developing programme master budgets
- Ensuring that program implementation plans and budget monitoring tools and plans are up to date.
- Develop and modify/adapt program management tools as needed.
- Ensure financial management of all programs budget, ensuring budget forecast, reviews and procurement plans are integrated at each of program cycle management phase.
- Implement and oversee the DRC administrative guidelines and policies, safety and security procedures, logistics support and other tasks
- Support programs in adapting program approaches for areas of reduced humanitarian access.
- Support programs in the establishment and management of responsible partnership with local NGOs and Civil society groups as needed.
- Regular coordination with Technical Coordinators to ensure implementation of technical approaches for quality programming
Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting:
- Support the MEAL team in developing and managing MEAL plans, and monitoring and evaluations tools and indicators.
- Ensure quality control processes and tools are developed ensuring technical and performance quality standards are upheld.
- Support the team in developing monthly, Quarterly and final donors reports with support from Grants
- Ensure programs' records are up to date and are in line with donors retention policies.
- Ensure that relevant beneficiary data is collected, compiled, analyzed and distributed and that relevant assessments are conducted in the project area
Representation, external relations and advocacy:
- Increase the visibility and credibility of DRC’s program in the area and maintain close relations with all relevant stakeholders including other international organizations, UN agencies, Donors and others.
- As requested, represent DRC in donor visits and actively participate and represent DRC in cluster meetings and other coordination meetings ensuring that advocacy messaging are efforts are in-line with the overall advocacy strategy.
- Ensure effective coordination and visibility of the implementation of the projects with all humanitarian and development actors
- Coordination with Area Manager and Technical Coordinators to agree and clarify key messages for advocacy, DRC positions and other external communications
Required Qualifications & Experience:
- Master's degree in political science, international development, economics or other relevant field.
- At least 5 years' experience in relevant field.
- At least 4 years' experience with people management, grants and program management, preferably in protection, CCCM and/or livelihoods programs
- Proven leadership skills and a competence in people management
- Experience with effectively coordinating with national partners, local/government authorities, NGO partners, UN agencies and other relevant stakeholders.
- Full professional proficiency in English